Getting My Craft On (DIY Gallery Wall)

Tuesday, January 8, 2013


 
I have hated these little empty walls to the left and right of my front door for a long time, but hadn't figured out what to put there until recently. Well, until six months ago when I got an art catalog in the mail and clipped some images out: 



Now, six months later, I finally got around to making my art walls.  Here is what I did:

I bought 8 frmaes from Michaels, not paying any attention to the color, only to the mat sizes. I got lucky and found frames with mats to fit (more or less) each print.


Here is an example:



To make them, I removed the back plate from each frame, as most of them were meant to be table top frames.  I taped the new prints into place:


Then I used Gold Rub n Buff on the frames:



I love how they look a little messy and aged.And I assure you, this was sheer laziness. I had wanted to use gold spray paint, but my Michael's stopped selling it, so I used Rub n Buff.  I'm glad I did:



I don't love this messiness - I have to do the inside edges now to "fix" that:



And here they are all hung.  I have more clippings, so I might actually add one or two more to each side of the front door:







Look how cool this product premier sale by Dana Gibson is toady - love everything!

 My Favorite Deals From Across the Internet. 
Updated Daily. Sometimes hourly:
Jossandmain.com online decor ad
             

Enter your email address to receive posts by email:






Thanks for reading!
sheerserendipity said...

Your art wall looks very nice! I really like the look of the Rub n Buff, i must try some!

Laurie said...

Stealing that rub & buff idea - looks great. By the way just hung my big ol'2013 year calendar - got a discount through your blog - feeling inspired!

Countrymouse said...

Your blog is my big morning coffee. I love your art work. Genius. I will copy and fill in the blank space aroung my front door also. That Rub and Buff is awesome. Have a great day.
Beverly

Unknown said...

Lovely. I have a very talented artistic daughter. I believe this post has just earned her a new project to complete for me after winter exams next week. :-)

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Gorgeous, Stacy! I love how you placed them too. What did we do without r&b?
Happy Tuesday.
Teresa
xoxo

Cynthia said...

Stacy,

You did a great job, isn't rub n buff the best?

Cynthia

Jennifer@ClassicStyleHome said...

Great idea! I think 90% of my framed art in my bedroom as a child came from Monet calendars my mom bought. I must tell my mother to graduate to art catalogs. ;)

Unknown said...

Well done girl! It looks great:)

Splenderosa said...

Stace...these are great! Doesn't everyone love Michael's? xx's

carolyn bradford said...

Great example of how to hang pictures and make a space even that more special! You are the queen of doing that! Love this post!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea, I am very into gold (and brass!) right now. Adding this to my Bright Ideas board on Pinterest. Thanks Stacy!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea, I am very into gold (and brass!) right now. Adding this to my Bright Ideas board on Pinterest. Thanks Stacy!

Pura Vida said...

Stacy I love how you have hung these AND the DIY. Great job! I love to do such stuff with old postcards that look like old world country side paintings