My House: Some Successes, And A Major Failure

Thursday, October 25, 2012

I've shown you this room before, but yesterday I was re-doing the trim on the curtains -- long story short, they didn't come out right the first time.


Anyway, I had the fabric laid out on the floor and my 7 year old daughter walked in, looked for a minute, and said "Mommy, you've sure been making a lot of curtains lately."  Long pause. Then she says "Maybe if you keep doing them you'll get good at them."

Out of the mouths of babes, right!?  She's a funny little thing all right!



On another note, I struck gold at Home Goods yesterday! Here are my finds:

 This candelabra - I love it.  It's one of my favorite things in the house now.  It's real Austrian crystal (not plastic!) and weighs about 15 pounds.  Gorgeous in person...nothing like a candelabra to glam up a room:







 This Moroccan pouf. I'm so glad Home Goods started carrying these, and am especially glad they they are good, real thick leather ones and not the junky copy cats. 
AND that they had one in the perfect color for me - it was fate:




(Oops - I just noticed that in the photo above the blankets on the white couch are folded the way the lady who helps me clean always does it - I don't usually have a black on the bottom and a blue on top :)

And these framed linen embroidery things for a hallway that needed an update:


And this cool silver table. I brought in a plant from outside. We'll see how it does over the winter.  This room is still under construction.


And I finally figured out this vignette. 
I showed you some of it before, but I just added the baskets under the table: 


And then the major FAIL: My friend and I decided this room needed some pink.  So she is going to help me make slipcovers for these chairs with a white base and then, get this, DETACHABLE stripes!! I wanted gray ones for every day, but then some pink for summer or if I just change my mind.  So I bought this pink fabric, thinking it would look awesome. It clearly doesn't. Not sure if it is too light, or if I just can't pull the trigger on pink in the living room.  I don't know. I need to think about it for a while. What do you guys think?  
You know I always love your input!



_________________________________________________________


*See My 15 Most Popular Posts HERE!
a
_________________________________________________________

 
This stuff is AWESOME: 



Last but not least.....
Image Map

a
Subscribe by Email: 
Enter your email address to get new posts delivered to your inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Anonymous said...

Love the pair of baskets under the table. Really cute post!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Clearly I need to schedule a trip to HomeGoods! And at least your daughter is encouraging you on the curtains - so cute!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Stacy, love it! Only out of a child's mouth....Your home always looks gorgeous and I love the HGs finds. I'm going to have to go by there.

Unknown said...

Love that poof(and Homegoods!) I am with you on pink,it is a lovely colour. I am trying as well to bring it in, and am missing the boat on the right tone. So far I have tried coral pink, and dusty pink...still trying. Your daughter is a riot!

Amy Bridge said...

Beautiful room! Regarding the pink, try a deep pink. Not a bright pepto or barbie pink, but a strong pink. I've got a grey bedroom, and touches of pink make it pop.

Amy Bridge said...

Got it! Go to Charlotte Moss' website, click on tete-a-tete button and look for the breast cancer post. There is a picture of a grey Christian Dior chair with a stack of books beside it. In the stack of books is a pink one, the shade I'm trying to reference. I think the trick is to pick a pink that has a lot of black in it.

Unknown said...

Wow your house looks so great! I love the gray LR, and pink could be fun, especially if detachable! How about a more magenta colored pink- very intense and strong like your grays, blacks and whites...
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Janie said...

With all your gray, I think fuschia would be fun for your spot of pink. It's bold and pretty.

Unknown said...

Hey Stacy thanks for your comment today...I appreciate it...I had no idea that link was activated! no more:)

Carla Aston | CarlaAston.com/DESIGNED said...

That is certainly one beautiful candelabra! Love your home...you have done an excellent job! I agree with all the other comments regarding the pop of pink...go for a strong, fushia color...maybe opt for a little lumbar pillow in a linen? That would be a perfect way to add a pop of color and the best part of it is when you get tired of it or the seasons change, toss it somewhere else in the house! Glad to contribute; enjoy the rest of your week!

Cynthia said...

I love this post and your right what kids say. I love the candelabra. It is beautiful just like the rest of your home.

Cynthia

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Stacy...that candelabra is amazing...just gorgeous! I have never seen anything like it in my HomeGoods...and I love that poof...great, perfect color!!
Maybe it is the shade of pink that is getting to you...a little "pepto" maybe..but I do love the thought of some pink in that room for summer...great idea about being able to change out the colors on the chairs!..and I love our drapes..and the vignette with the baskets underneath is perfection!! Oh kids, they say the darndest things!! :)..

The enchanted home said...

OK OK I sound like a broken record but your house is SOOO GORGEOUS!! It belongs in mags and let me tell you. you do justice for Home Goods!!! I am going to have to include some of your gorgeous rooms/finds with your Home Goods post in an upcoming post.
You have done a spectacular job Stacy!!!! And not only is your daughter as cute as a button that dialogue was the funniest thing I have heard in a long time..so sweet and worth writing down to remember!!
Lsst, my honest opinion on the pink stripe idea (I only know how to give one opinion an honest one) I am not feeling it..dont' know if its the shade or what, but not loving it. However I had an idea..how about have some rectangular pillows made using the pink fabric so you get your pink fix but mix it in with the black, white gray, whatever other colors are in the room. You will get your splash of color and a pillow is so easy to take on and off...just my 2 cents!!
Beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

my vote is that the pink fabric is not heavy enough...needs more body and is too baby pink.

Karen T. said...

Your daughter's comment is just too funny! Your curtains turned out great! I love the banding. You really scored with the pouf/ottoman and the candelabra. We recently got two Home Goods stores in my area, and each time I've been customers are every where & cars are pulled in front of the store hauling merchandise away. They have great stuff.

Kathysue said...

It is just the wrong pink you need a deep pink to carry off the richness of your gorgeous home and room. Love your taste,
Kathysue

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others, a deep pink might work. You must have the biggest and best Homegoods in the country near your house. We have a small one within the TJMaxx in our town. I've heard a new one is coming soon to a nearby town. Even the one in Hyannis wasn't as great as I had hoped when I went in this summer.
Niki

Jennifer@ClassicStyleHome said...

I love your house so much and I'm insanely jealous of your Homegoods. That's so funny about your daughter. My son was sitting in the kitchen one day and asked why our house was "pitch white." Lol! I love the pink!

Danielle said...

Love your house! Also, love the poof you found. Saw them today at Home Goods while I was chasing my 3 yr old. Your daughter is so cute! So the pink. I think it might be too pink. Maybe a little paler with the cool grey. Like a very pale pink. x

Unknown said...

I like what u had before on the chairs. Pink not so much.I love to look at your home its Fabulous! Question with young kids how do u get away with a white couch in family room? with dogs and a son i would be washing it all the time. Please tell me your secret..:)

Anonymous said...

AMAZING post again:) love it mmmm.

If you want to see some cool lamps..check out my new post:)

have a great weekend dear

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se

clunygrey said...

Hi, Stacy,
Love the baskets under the table. I am thinking a deeper pink - maybe a fuschia, hot pink?
Love the candlelabra!
Hugs, Cluny

leslie said...

love that your kitchen counters have actually "cooking" items on them!! (not like in magazines and real estates agents versions of a working kitchen!)yummy!!