Am I Wrong About Red?

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Ok, I'll admit it, even though this may be weird for someone of my profession to admit, but I've always hated red.  Really, really hated it.  Except for on an old barn or maybe an antique general store, I could live without ever seeing red again.  I hate it so much I even use pink instead of red at Christmas.

But recently, I've seen some red rooms that I don't hate!  That's big for me.  And it made me start to wonder, "Do I really hate red, or did I just tell myself that and I keep believing it?"  And I think it might be the latter! Kind of embarrassing, but there it is.  Here are the rooms that are making me think I'm wrong about red:

































I also have had these two products in my sidebar forever, and have always liked them, so I don't know hwy I had it so stuck in my stubborn head that I hate red!

Click to view
          

Click to view

What do you think? Do you love it or hate it?

Also, I'm LOVING this lighting sale today:
Click HERE to view all:

Click
click


click
click


click
click


Also found the barstools again that were sold out for so long - many of you have asked, so here they are:
Click to view


My Favorite Deals From Across the Internet. 
Updated Daily. Sometimes hourly:
Jossandmain.com online decor ad
             

Enter your email address to receive posts by email:






Thanks for reading!
FABBY'S LIVING said...

I don't really love most of these images, but love the chairs here, though. Susan of Between Naps on the Porch has a beautiful RED dining room you would love to see. I have two great French chairs with red striped velvet and I love them! Here's what I think of red..I think I'll get tired and bored with it soon, if I had it on the walls specially. Big hugs,
FABBY

Alexandra said...

I. loathe. red. lol I love everything in between though... berry, port, maroon etc. I will wear red on my nails and I don't mind it if it's a Christmas decoration, but that is it! p.s. this is a funny story.. I only ever complained about red to one other person, my old boss, I went on for awhile lol I then find out that nearly her entire house was decorated in red LOL

Katherine said...

Although labeled a 'regal' colour, red is a tough one to love. And it has to be the perfect shade - even then it changes with the natural light coming into the room.
Red dining rooms seem to me to be so dated.

Red - not my first choice.

Donna B. said...

If you had a red dining room for the last 16 years, you would hate red as much as I do! It is being painted beautiful Palladian Blue in two weeks. Can't wait!

Robyn said...

I love red accents such as pillows, art and small accessories but walls and large pieces of furniture are just too much.
I have to admit though, some of those pictures were enticing, but I would find it hard to live with on a daily basis.

Jennifer@ClassicStyleHome said...

I'm not really a fan either. I don't mind it in small doses, but decorating an entire room red isn't my thing. It's...suffocating. I do have a barn red wall in my kids's playroom and I don't mind it there for some reason. I suppose it depends on the room.

penny said...

I hate to say it but I don't really like any of those images. I like red only in small doses with lots of white or cream/tan to temper it. I was actually considering that palette for my 1927 Spanish bungalow, until I looked at these photos and realized red for me would be a big mistake. It just struck me how odd it is that they say red stimulates the appetite because I literally felt queasy imagining myself spending any length of time in any of those intensely red rooms. However, I love pink! Maybe that's why I like red when it's paired with whites. Because it sort of reads pink?

Stacy CUrran said...

OK!!! My readers have spoken loudly and clearly! NO MORE RED POSTS :)

I actually loved a few of these images, and aspects of all of them. Some were way over the top, but I loved the drama of those.

But, since I even got an email from one reader who just said "YUCK", and all of these comments are in the "dislike" category, I won't be doing any more posts about red ;)

xo Stacy

Danielle said...

I'm not a big red person, but I just did a little Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint little red chair and love it. I like little pops of red - little accents, but don't think I could ever paint a whole room red...

sheerserendipity said...

I used to like red more than I do now. Even then It was in smaller doses. That being said, I do really like those red chippendale dining chairs in that white kitchen. They look great!

Collar City Brownstone said...

I would never paint the walls of a room red. Red is a loud color that suffocates you. Believe it or not red used to be my favorite color when I was younger, but I never thought of usuing it in home decor. I only bought some clothes in red. My favorite color now is pink and when I look back I cannot understand what I found so appealing in red.

Alie said...

Hehe! - I actually saved the post or some red-spiration! So I am one reader who did like the post:))

Anonymous said...

Whoa--some pretty strong reactions to thAT color! And I thought it was just ME~!
I wrote a post myself touching on this subject--http://freddyandpetunia.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/a-madness-for-chairs-pt-3/
Catherine