Changes to my house, and plans for a new room

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

 First, here is a little vignette I just did in my bedroom. The table was an old console that I covered in blue silk. Everything else you see is Home Goods - the lamps, the frames, the orchid, and the little gold rimmed dishes I found yesterday for a steal - about $3 each. I love that I can see all of my jewelry now (and before any robbers get excited...it's all fake...anything good is on my body or in a safe). The long gold leaf tray has rings and is my favorite for organization because rings are small and I can never find what I want.  Actually, even the table was Home Goods now that I think about it. What would I do without that place?

Here are the crappy ipad photos of it because I was far too lazy to look for my camera:



And I posted yesterday about how Ellie really wants a new room for her birthday.  Remember, her #1 request - carpeted walls?  I talked her out of that.  Here's how I did it: by telling her maybe she could have a built in bed.  She has an alcove in her room that is perfect for it.  It's a disaster now, but I'll show you soon.

So here are the ideas I'm considering (photos linked to sources, so just click to view):

Of course she will only have one bed, but this is the closest (except color wise) to what hers will be. One built in bed with a trundle drawer underneath, (for another mattress) and a canopy. Definitely shelves, too. Picture this cut in half in pink and green:


Although I think I'm liking the outward facing shelves better, like this one: 


And I do love that head board - I'll have to get creative there. Actually, with the canopy like photo 1, that might be too much. Thoughts?

I also like these curtains for privacy, but my husband doesn't. Still might happen though :)


Ok, shelves facing in like above, or out like photo 2?
Curtains? Canopy? Both?
Headboard so it is like a daybed? With a canopy or instead of?

I love to hear your opinions!


My Pinterest:




___________________________________________

Shopaholics
This may be sad to say, but it's true: Nothing gets me more excited than affordable lighting that looks expensive!


___________________________________________

___________________________________________ 



Enter your email address to get new posts delivered to your inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Anonymous said...

Good ideas, but all I can think of is trying to make a bed that is against a wall. :-( Always been a pet peeve. Love the bed between the outward facing shelves, but would put the headboard up in between and run a fabric canopy, attached to the ceiling, around the perimeter of the bed. Boring, I know, but maybe if the curtains closed it would be an idea that Ellie would like.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Good ideas, but all I can think of is trying to make a bed that is against a wall. :-( Always been a pet peeve. Love the bed between the outward facing shelves, but would put the headboard up in between and run a fabric canopy, attached to the ceiling, around the perimeter of the bed. Boring, I know, but maybe if the curtains closed it would be an idea that Ellie would like.
Cathy

Emma said...

This is such a beautiful vignette. I love the dishes! I need to go to HomeGoods more often--they should build one closer to our house, actually. That's a good plan too.

As for the built-ins, I think my favorite is the one where the shelves face outward--turquoise, pink, chinoiserie and a pretty chandelier? How stylish! Plus, the stuff on the shelves runs no risk of falling onto the child as they sit on or sleep in the bed, unlike in the photo with the curtains. Earthquakes aren't much of a worry, but just shifting your weight really hard can also cause things to wiggle and wobble.

Lighting that looks luxe but doesn't cost luxe money is the best.

Jennifer@ClassicStyleHome said...

She's one lucky girl! I love the idea of a built in bed. I like the shelves facing outward, the canopy, the curtains. The whole thing! Instead of a headboard maybe you could have fabric on the walls inside the bed alcove. Maybe it's not carpet, but fabric walls would be close. ;)

Karena said...

Love your new lamps from Home Goods, Stacy. Ellie's room is going to be darling. I like the shelved towards the bed, it give a cozy hideaway look...

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

e.Mle said...

Just so simple - take photo #2 but loose the Moorish shelf tops. The shaped headboard is a better statement. Maybe a slightly smaller scale fabric would keep the eye from jumping around.
You are so smart to make a trade away from carpet or padded walls! I think you had this in mind a long time ago.
Thanks for wanting our input.

Scat said...

Stacy,
I'm afraid I'm of no help. I looked over your home photos and was so impressed that I go back every once in a while to get ideas.
I cant wait to see what you come up with. You're the pro!
I have fond memories of redecorating my daughter's bedroom when she was younger. She chose the paper from 2 different books ha I'll email you a photo. Shes 27 now and lives in Chicago. Everything stilllooks the same in herroom though. Enjoy your project!
scaturat@aol.com

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love the 2nd image…and love the fabric in the 3rd image!…Love the cozy feel of the 2nd image without it feeling so confining…I know you will create the most beautiful space for her..and love your fabric covered console…wonderful vignette and perfect trays and dishes for your "fake jewelry"...

Sandra Lee said...

I'm head over heels in love with your lamps! Also, the first pic of the alcove is my fave.

The enchanted home said...

Gorgeous vignette Stacy, you are so talented. Its great looking....and those bedrooms are to die for! That first one is amazing and i do love the canopy, curtains and upholstered headboard..what can I say I love it all. Just tell your daughter she is in the best of hands:)

Katherine said...

With the bed against the wall it creates a great spot to sit and read {with loads of pillows of course}. Notice how they kept the bedding simple so that making the bed becomes easy.
Incorporating built-in drawers or a trundle under the bed brings more options. And shelves - plenty of shelves for all the things little girls treasure.

She is going to love it.

Donna-s Lair said...

Awesome....I like the curtain idea, but may get in the way of making the bed...so I vote for outward bookshelves because YOU CAN style them well! Really pretty sconces would be pretty and give longevity! Can't wait to see your room!!!! Something to look forward to!!!

Kay dancingbrushpainting.blogspot.com said...

Shelves in (cozy), canopy, curtains. A hideaway I'd have loved as a kid and would love still!! (I'm not claustrophobic.) But then again, shelves out may give you more to play with decoratively. Yes, sconces. Making that bed WILL be a pain. But worth it.

Merlin said...

You ARE just so CLEVER!! Your purchases are "spot on" and I cannot wait to see what this "new" room design will entail!! You go girl! franki