My $129 Bar Cart Makeover!

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Do you remember last week when I told you about the $129 bar cart from Target that I was going nuts over and ordered? Well it came today, and it is every bit as great as the unanimously favorable reviews said (it is sturdy, gorgeous, comes assembled, etc).  And the price sure was right! My sister bought it that day and loves it, too.

Click to view

It is very pretty in its original form, but it didn't really fit with my dining room, so I bought it knowing I would tweak it.

The first thing I did was two coats of my favorite silver spray paint: 


In the garage. In what could technically be called the middle of the night.




I considered leaving it all silver, but had initially thought black shelves would be nice, so I gave them a try. Also in the middle of last night:


I'm glad I tried the black - I like it. The acrylic paint I used (from Michaels, about $2) is wet here, so the shine is exaggerated in this photo, as are the brush strokes, which disappeared when it dried.


Last step, a coat of clear gloss spray and then styling:








I'm very excited to finally have a Mad Men type bar cart!


______________________________________________________


If you are looking for furniture, TODAY is the day to visit the flash sales - they are truly amazing today:

___________________________________________ 

 You won't regret it :)
___________________________________________

 
Enter your email address to get new posts delivered to your inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner






Calypso In The Country said...

LOVE the cart! You did such a beautiful job! Now I want one!
-Shelley

Kate Abt Design said...

Just saw this in person at Target and it's gorgeous! I love what you did with yours though! Looks fantastic!

Jennifer@ClassicStyleHome said...

It looks fantastic! I love the black shelves. I've been thinking of buying one for my dining room since I don't have room for a buffet. I had no idea they were that cheap at Target. Awesome buy!

Anne said...

Looks quite nice with your redo's, and also obviously functions well! Enjoy:)

Constance said...

That was my comment above, Stacy. Don't know why it wouldn't connect to my blog, sorry!

Vanessa Louis-Flores said...

I like the turn out. Always look forward to your ideas.

Tricia | 724SouthHouse said...

I have been eyeing that bar cart for a while! I absolutely love what you did with it. The contrast of the silver and black is perfect. It looks great in your space!

Merlin said...

You IMPROVED that cart 100%!! Can't wait for mine to come! franki

KL said...

Amazing Stacey! X kl

Karena said...

Very nice Stacy I love it and I have been looking for a bar cart! The silver makes it!

xoxo
Karena
Velvet Pumpkins Giveaway!

Unknown said...

A - D - O - R - A - B - L - E!

Andrea said...

That looks great!

Dianne said...

You did an excellent job on this cart. My concern is seeing that alcohol every time I walk by would be so tempting. Maybe a 5 o'clock Happy Hour sign would help? LOL

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Stacy,
You did a great job on the cart. We have a Target opening here next month and we're looking forward to shopping there. Thanks for sharing at my HOME.

Blessings,
Sandi

Anne said...

So chic!

MaryBeth Hanafin said...

I too am up half the night with my "overactive mind"...wishing I was as creative and productive as you :)..love your inspirational ideas!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

The tweaking paid off. It turned out really great! Thanks for sharing it with Share Your Cup.
hugs,
Jann

Anonymous said...

Hi, love your revamp!! Question...did you use a primer before you spray painted? If you didn't, no issues with the paint adhering?

Stacy CUrran said...

Nope I never use a primer with metallic paint and it always adheres. There were no issues!
Stacy

Bold Sparrow Vintage said...

OMG. I got this Target bar cart for Christmas and I LOVE it. And then I saw yours...now I have to paint it! I love yours even more!!!

Olia said...

Stacy- I love this!! What is the clear gloss you used?? How do you suggest using it? Do I wait a while before adding the gloss?

Olia said...

Stacy- I love this!! What is the clear gloss you used?? How do you suggest using it? Do I wait a while before adding the gloss?

Olia said...

Stacy- I love this!! What is the clear gloss you used?? How do you suggest using it? Do I wait a while before adding the gloss?

Olia said...

Stacy- I love this!! What is the clear gloss you used?? How do you suggest using it? Do I wait a while before adding the gloss?

Olia said...

what kind of clear gloss is it that you used??