Favorite Fall Tablescapes

Monday, October 28, 2013

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of my husband's father's passing, so it was a very sad and emotional weekend for us. Fortunately, my husband and his brother were able to go to NC to visit their mother and help her through the day. They visited the Hospice where he spent his last days, and the boys were able to help my mother-in-law with some things around the house.  When he got home last night, Patrick was telling me about the trip and the emotions involved.  Like so many of our conversations, it ended with us both feeling so grateful for what we have - especially our children and our families. 

We talk about the past as much as we do the future. I don't know if that's healthy. When we were young, we only talked about the future. But then, we were 19 year old kids who never even considered the reality that we would age and experience losses. Now, with my mother's worsening condition and Patrick's father's death, we seem to focus a lot on the past.  It may not be healthy, but it is helping us grieve, I think.  Of course feeling grateful is a big part of this time of year - I just hope we would feel it without the sadness and loss that reminds us to count our blessings.  

With Thanksgiving coming, I've been thinking about table settings (I'll be hosting my parents, sister and her family, and Patrick's mother).  Here are some of my favorites. As much as I'd love to do something like these, I'll probably do a version of the one I did last year. It's not the most amazing or intricate thing ever, but it has a lot of meaning for us (photos of our extended family from the past):


Here are some other ideas I love:





























__________________________________________

___________________________________________ 

___________________________________________


               

     

          
 
Enter your email address to get new posts delivered to your inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Kay dancingbrushpainting.blogspot.com said...

"Of course feeling grateful is a big part of this time of year - I just hope we would feel it without the sadness and loss that reminds us to count our blessings."

You nailed it.

Much love to you and your family Stacy.

Kay

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Very inspirational....Great tablescapes!

Merlin said...

As usual...just gorgeous! May the force be with you. franki

The enchanted home said...

So beautiful! Never saw so many gorgeous fall tablescapes in one place..have to get busy pinning. Sorry about your father in law and it is those times that makes us reflect on our blessings including the time we had with that special someone.

Katherine said...

It's actually a good thing that you and Patrick can look back - with hearts full and be grateful for all of the wonderful family times. It's very healthy - and you are very lucky.

Beautiful table-scapes - but I especially love the one you had last year. And isn't that what giving thanks is all about.

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Stacy-
All of these are beautiful, but I love your idea with the photographs! SO personal and beautiful!
Teresa
xoxo

Pura Vida said...

Stacy I love your sentimental and tender thoughts. I think sadness is an emotion that's ok to feel...in fact better than ok. It takes the shadows to bring forth the light.

Jennifer@ClassicStyleHome said...

These are beautiful tablescapes. I've been working so hard finishing the décor in my dining room before Thanksgiving that I haven't actually thought about a centerpiece. I love the photos you used in yours. That's a great idea that I might have to borrow. And, I'm so sorry about your father in law. Hugs!