A DIY Success (I Think) - I PAINTED a Fabric Chair!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

I recently added a chair to my bedroom that was supposed to be hot pink.  But, it was actually a little more purple than what I was looking for. So, I undertook what I've always thought of as the craziest of do it yourself projects - I PAINTED it!! Now don't get me wrong - I think painting upholstery is brilliant - I only considered it crazy because I figured I could never make it work like all the great ones I see on line.  But lo and behold, I did  it!  And it was easy!

Here is the before. Scary! It looked WAY more subdued on my ipad, so it was kind of my fault for not checking on the regular monitor before I bought it:

And here is the after:



Is it too obnoxious? I kind of like it :)

And I think I showed you this before, but the pink chair is of to the right. Hopefully you can do a wide angle view in you mind?


And here is how easy it is to paint fabric:

I mixed 1 bottle of fabric medium with 4 little bottles of acrylic paint.  Michael's didn't have the exact color I wanted, so I mixed two each of these colors, in with the fabric medium.


Then I painted ONE coat on to the chair.  Can you believe it?  I thought it would take several.  But maybe it only needed one because I wasn't changing the color drastically.

So all of the tutorials say to mix some water in and sand between coats - I totally couldn't be bothered (this is why I fail at a lot of DIY projects, clearly).  So mine came out scratchier than some, I'm sure, but I really don't care since I don't think anyone will ever sit here.  I see some lines in the photo that I don't see in person - isn't that always the way?  Photos bring out all the flaws.  So I'll probably sand it someday.  (And if you believe that, I have bridge to sell you :)

I do like the new color though:

BEFORE
AFTER
        
So that's it.  I'm calling it a success, even though it's still kinda bright - I think it's bright but in a good way now, not a "Let me grab my sunglasses" way!

Image Map
_________________________________________________________


*See My 15 Most Popular Posts HERE!
a
_________________________________________________________


And on my other blog, Mary Jane's Makeup, today:
"The BEST Makeup Trick Everyone Should Know"

_______________________________________________________

mmmaaa

Up To 90% Off Luxury Consignment


         
Subscribe by Email: 
Enter your email address to get new posts delivered to your inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner
swedecollection said...

What kind of fabric was on the chair? Cotton, linen, chenille???
Did you have to put a topcoat sealer on it? Does it work better with fabrics that have nap like velvet or flat fabrics? I was wondering about sanding a velvet -- would that work? A huge risk to take, but it turned out wonderfully.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Stacy, you did a fantastic job..love the chair..it such a great pop of color in your house!...Since this was such a success, I guess we shall be seeing more DIY projects...right??!!!...you can do it!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

Stacy...your are brave, but it came out good....I like it!

http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com said...

What a cool thing to do. I would have been afraid, but your chair turned out great! Risk worth taking!

Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos
http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com

Jenee Galante said...

Great work to painted those fabric chair. Those are looking pretty good after painted. Thanks for sharing.

Miathewindowcleaner said...

I love that chair! It's such a statement piece. I don't find it too bright and I like how it goes with the rest of the interior.

Alicia J. McCormick said...

Congratulations! You did a really good job. Your chairs look so cute. I'm doing some research on painting, too. I have an old coffee table and I want to paint it. But I have no idea.

Diane J. Barboza said...

This is genius! Your chairs look so nice and cute. The way you work really wonderful.

Kristine A said...

I think this turned out a lovely shade of pink - I want one, too! It seems like painting fabric is the trend these days, I hope I'd be brave enough to try.