"The Decorator Put It There"

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

There is a scene from a movie that has always stuck in my mind (although not the name of the movie obviously).  I recall two guys standing around a beautiful, huge foyer that had a baby grand in it.  The guest says to the homeowner, "Who plays the piano?" and the homeowner says "No one. The decorator put it there."

I personally would never ask a client to buy a piano that no one was going to play, as beautiful as they are.  I DO sometime choose form over function, but that's going a little far, in my view.  But boy, do I hope one of my kids becomes a piano prodigy so I can buy one someday :)

Aren't these music rooms gorgeous?!

































 Look who is at OKL today -- WINDSOR SMITH!!!
Click to view


And here is a lighting sale that I think has exceptional pricing:
View



My Favorite Deals From Across the Internet. 
Updated Daily. Sometimes hourly:

Jossandmain.com online decor ad

             

Enter your email address to receive posts by email:






Thanks for reading!
Jennifer@ClassicStyleHome said...

I always wanted a baby grand piano growing up, and a black and white marble floor to put it on. I was a strange kid, lol.

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

I my goodness, Stacey! These images are stunning! I love the room with the harp. There is nothing more beautiful than a piano.
Happy Wednesday.
Teresa
xoxo

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

I need to watch my posture. But, I was so tired that day, when they took that picture of me leaning against the piano, mid-day, in my ball gown!
Cheers!,
Barbara

Carrie said...

I love that movie line. And, in my opinion, if you entertain and have the space, even if nobody plays, it is still perfectly fine to have a grand piano. For a large room, it functions almost like a coffee table book...

Robyn said...

I just love those images-every singe one of them! A home filled ith music is always so special.
Thanks so much for sharing, Stacy.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Grand pianos and harps always gives such elegance and sophistication to a room....I would love a baby grand that plays itself!!!....

Unknown said...

wow! perfect pics!:)
when i was a child, i played violin. but now unfortunately no:( nevertheless, i want a piano in my living room for decoration.

Cynthia said...

Gorgeous pianos, The one with the girl sitting at it is romantice in feeling.

Cynthia

Barbara@HausDesign said...

My daughter is about to start taking piano lessons so your post is perfect...I am searching our house for the perfect spot for a piano just in case she really gets the bug! :)

carolyn bradford said...

Our daughter plays the piano…many hours of practicing…etc…all worth it! And I was incredibly grateful for the piano that was handed down to us from my husband's grandparents…I will never part with it until I can give it to Holly.

Haus and Home said...

We know the piano will definitely be played in your house!

sheerserendipity said...

Baby grand piano always exudes elegance in a room. Love all your images, just gorgeous!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Funny title! I wandered in from Pinterest. I caught the title and immediately starting noticing how many pianos were not really played. LOL I did all this before I started reading your opinion. LOL Love it! I agree. A piano should open to the room, not be in a window in which it would get direct sunlight, and it also should not be under a vent if at all possible. nos. And it probably is not a good idea to leave it always open depending on the manufacturer. The lid is heavy and some might not have it reinforced and over time it will bow. Not to mention dust.

Ours is played. It is shut for practicing. We only open it if it is getting close to a performance, but then we also head over to the university to find a couple of junky ones to play on. If she can make some junky ones sound good, she will be better prepared to adjust to whatever the competition uses.