Compelling Evidence of My Insanity!

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I've had so many kitchen rugs.
 I've liked them all, but not necessarily in the kitchen. 
When this one came up at One Kings for $175, I grabbed it.  

The problem: It was brown, and I really wanted black.
Solution? Sharpies! Lots of them.
And my daughter (a.k.a. cheap labor...she works for cookies :)

Here is the rug before:

In progress:




And after.
I don't really love the room with red in it (I'll like it better on Dec 26 when the tree comes down), but you get the idea:




What do you think?
I hope to never have to do THAT project again!
I know, I'm completely insane.
______________________________________________________

And here are some great sales I've been shopping for clients at today, and for gifts,  that I wanted to share with you:


Leather goods starting at $19:
Click to view


Unique home gifts:

Click to view


Love these modern items, and their prices.  A client bought the first chairs today, but in black:



Click to view


And how great are these one of a kind antiques!? 


Click to view

 Lastly, I'm loving these antuiqye sleds.
The first is only $19!!
 
Click to view


My Favorite Deals From Across the Internet. 
Updated Daily. Sometimes hourly:
Jossandmain.com online decor ad
             

Enter your email address to receive posts by email:






Thanks for reading!
Anonymous said...

Holy Moly! You actually colored your rug?! It didn't bleed or rub off? As we say on the Cape-- you are so smmaaahhtttt (smart).
Niki

Stacy CUrran said...

Nope - no bleeding or rubbing off. I think dye would bleed, but Sharpies, being fast drying and permanent, work well!
Stacy

Pura Vida said...

are you kidding me? This is hilarious..yet...genius! I really laughed but I am so impressed!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Wow, Stacy, this is amazing! Never would have thought to do that. Your daughter should be proud of her work!

Unknown said...

You, my friend, are as normal as they come - and I could not live without my sharpies!!!
This turned out brilliant Stacy!
XOX

Jenny said...

LOVE that rug - both the style and the price! Yowza!

Carrie said...

Great idea! It turned out beautifully--your whole house looks amazing! BTW I work for cookies too. :)

Jennifer@ClassicStyleHome said...

I love the rug and that your daughter helped you. My entire dining room would be covered in black sharpie if I let any of my kids have one. They'd probably have semi-perm handlebar mustaches, too.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Now that was brilliant....Wish your daughter would come to my house.....I have cookies! Looks like she did a great job!

carolyn bradford said...

Never would have thought of this in a million years! I actually liked the brown..but agree the black was much better! Please let me know if you have any trouble with the sharpie effect bleeding, etc..! You are one brave woman..as well as extremely talented!

Unknown said...

You say insane...but really very smart idea! That is why you are a decorator! Great job. Also happy to see that someone changes their rugs like me...so thanks for that;)!!

The enchanted home said...

First..you gave me my first laugh of the day at 6am so thanks (about your daughter and working for cookies)! She is so cute and she looks like shes having a blast:) You are so smart, clever and your home is so gorgeous, that I am honestly not surprised. Your home looks so beautiful Stacy........and if your daughter needs some part time work, I have plenty over this way and I give out not only cookies but brownies too, lol.

Wendi @ Classic Chic Home said...

This rug is perfect for your space, Stacy. Kudos to your daughter for all of her hard work! I hope she enjoyed her cookies!

Decor & Harmony said...

Wow! Insanity always pays off when it comes to decorating! Way to go Stacy.

Cheryl said...

You are so clever! The room is beautiful! Who could have imagined what a little girl and cookies (how many did it take? ) to create such a beautiful rug! Looks like she even stayed inside the lines lol! Have a happy holiday!

foreverdecorating said...

Insanity but genius insanity. It does look better in black. I am going to change my red kitchen/dining room after Christmas to gray walls so I will be searching for a new rug too.

sheerserendipity said...

I would have never had the courage to color a brand new rug with a sharpie… But, wow, you and your daughter did it and looks great! It is such a beautiful rug and looks amazing in your room!

Sheila said...

This must have been truly tedious. Could be considered "child labor" (JUST KIDDING)but it was worth it. It looks great. Also you can 86 the red at Christmas time. Try silver and gold accents or aqua and chartreuse. They are also Christmas colors. Just a thought. Your home is beautiful no matter what!

PS. I have a rug fetish too and I am waiting for my new one to come from Rugs Usa. Thank you for the heads up on their Black Friday 75% off sale.

Merry Christmas!!!

Kole McRae said...

I must say you are incredibly braze! Great work!

diane said...

What a sweet and very patient daughter....rug looks great!

Anne said...

It's all in the details so I dont think you are crazy at all!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Sharpies...a good thing....What a great solution..and $175 for that rug? Incredible!!...Your rooms look like pages out of a magazine...gorgeous Stacy!