My Hand Painted Globe Knock-Off Do It Yourself Project and a Bit of Exciting Professional News

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

So these hand painted globes are all over the internet, and I've been meaning to do one forever.  I believe the originals are from Anthropologie - these are, but maybe someone did them before that. I'm not sure. But look how cute they are:




I believe this is the original artist, HERE
Here is more of her work:




They are so gorgeous and so well done, but you have to order from Anthropologie's European store, and they are not cheap.  

The perfect circumstances to try a DIY!

Here is how it is coming out -- my somewhat sorry (but good for me) attempt, nearing completion:


Here is how I did it:

   First, I finally got around to ordering a globe on eBay. I messed up by ordering a relief globe, but it was $3 so I can live with it (who knew that new globes were so expensive??)

Then I printed out the continents from a map site, and cut them out. 
I painted the globe with matte black acrylic, and then drew the white longitude and latitude lines in chalk (they are temporary place markers for the permanent ones).

Then I traced the continents by holding them up and drawing around them with the chalk. I filled them in with the blue paint, but I'm not loving the color so I plan on going over it in a lighter blue.

In fact, the whole thing was supposed to be a test run. I hadn't figured out how to do the white lines straight when I did the continents, so all along I had planned to paint over it. But then I kind of liked how it was coming out, so I kept going. 

The gold is a metallic gold paint pen. I still have to make the continents a different blue, spray the base gold, and spray the whole thing with a protective layer of gloss when I'm done.


Ellie did the islands :)

I wish my handwriting was as good as the originals. I have so much respect for artists who can knock it out of the park on execution (never mind the concept, which is impressive enough) - it's truly amazing to me.

I didn't exactly get my writing straight, but I only spent about 20 minutes on the whole thing, like I said, sort of as a trial run. What it showed me is that when I have the time, I think I really CAN do a good one. Maybe next week, when school vacation starts!

_____________________________________________


And on another note, I was asked to be a part of an article in Fisher Magazine recently. I just received my copy today. It's a gorgeous magazine and always fun to get a bit of publicity :)

I'm mostly adding the links and photos here so I have a permanent record along with my one copy. I don't really expect anyone to read it - it's just about table settings.





_____________________________________________

 Thanks for visiting everyone - see you tomorrow!
Today's new favorites:

 
 



Subscribe by Email HERE 

Post a Comment (even from EMAIL) by Clicking HERE 





Sheila said...

Hi Stacy. Congrats on your spot in the Fisher publication. Great job on your globe too. I have never seen globes done like that (I don't do much shopping at Anthro) but what a great idea. So cute.

Merlin said...

Good Heavens...you NEVER cease to amaze me!! The globes are just..."out of this world" and again, I totally agree it's all about the "comfort" when doing a dinner party..although, THOSE SETTINGS WERE DEFINITELY IN MY COMFORT ZONE!! KUDOS!! franki

Karena said...

Trust me Stacy you are doing much better on the globe than I would be! I actually like the color of blue (as it shows on your site) They are a very cool concept!

Congratulations on your article in Fisher magazine. It looks so elegant!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

Leslie @ Segreto Secrets said...

Congratulations on the table feature! - Well deserved, too!! I love your hand painted globe! Such a great idea!!
xo. Leslie
Segreto Finishes

Sandra Lee said...

Kudos on being featured and kudos on the globe! You are a woman of many talents!

diane said...

Congrats...always nice to be recognized as an expert in our field. While I know it might be a difficult holiday for you this year I wish you and your family a joyous time filled with many fond memories and I look forward to your posts in the new year.

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

I see you had your assistant helping! Fun project and kuddos on the article! I would like to find the shelves in the first dining room!

The enchanted home said...

I must be hiding under a rock, its the first time I have seen them, but they are so pretty and I am SO impressed by yours...wow you are a woman of many talents Stacy!

Anonymous said...

I LUV those globes--and your's is looking great!
I played with a globe project too--
https://freddyandpetunia.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/my-chalkboard-globe/
--and had lots of fun, but I'm totally intrigued with the ones you're showing!
Catherine

KL said...

what a great idea and a (relatively) simple diy!