Our Weekend Getaway - Newport, RI (Eating, Drinking, and Mansions!)

Monday, August 12, 2013

This weekend we went to Newport, RI for a quick getaway. I can't believe we don't go more often, because it is only about an hour away, and it is such a great place to visit for a weekend.  This weekend was the jazz and blues festival (and some reggae thrown in for some reason), so there was music playing everywhere. It was such a cool party atmosphere, and we totally took advantage of it (and of my parents, who took care of the kids :)

The hotel we stayed in wasn't great, just ok, so I'm skipping it in this post.  But here is the bar we frequented, where we were lucky enough to get seats, two afternoons in a row:


It is the outside bar of this restuarant, 22 Bowen, which is quite possibly one of my favorite restaurants ever.  It was AMAZING. 



Here is the grilled feta on bread with tomato and balsamic appetizer we shared:



Patrick is mortified by me asking anyone to take our photo, so this is a selfie....


And Patrick grabbing our bar seats...
We almost always eat in the bar area of restaurants so we are not rushed:

The next day, of course we saw the mansions. Here are a few drive by shots of the mansions and other houses I liked:






We did a big double take at this. Yes, they're fake, but I sure didn't think so at first:



I SO wanted to take one of these, and got a promise that next year we would:



The next morning we had brunch on the water at the most amazing Inn (The Castle Hill Inn). Someday I swear we are going to stay there.  The lunch is in the back, over looking the water. Simply gorgeous.




 Another selfie:


My cute, sweet husband:

The restaurant:




It was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. And one of the best weekends - just what the doctor ordered. I hope you all had great weekends, too!


_________________________________________________________ 

*See My 15 Most Popular Posts HERE
a
_________________________________________________________


Makeover Monday!
_______________________________________________________

  Let's Be Friends:
If you are reading this post in an EMAIL and want to like of Facebook, CLICK THE BLUE BLOG TITLE, not the Like box, below.  Sorry, Like boxes don't work in emailed posts unless you GO TO THE PAGE BY CLICKING THE TITLE of the blog. Thanks a lot Facebook!  

               

     

               
 


Image Map

a
Subscribe by Email: 
Enter your email address to get new posts delivered to your inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Pura Vida said...

I have THE fondest memories of this town!!! 5th anniversay! Black Pearl..new ring :-)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Glad you had a wonderful weekend with your sweetie!...There is nothing like getting away to relax in such a gorgeous area...I have never been there but on my bucket list...the mansions are gorgeous!...I did a double take too when I saw the camels!...Love the "self portraits"....

Merlin said...

Memories of a l o n g time ago..glad you're making new ones! franki

Carrie said...

That looks like a great place to visit and a very nice time for you both! Even perfect weather! :)

lorrie said...

thanks for posting photos of newport i went last year, stayed at a bed and breakfast, walked around I got to go on the cliff walk and toured one of the mansion. It was nice one of the days and the other day that i went to providence it was raining but I still enjoyed my trip

Karena said...

Dear Stacy what is better than finding places and restaurants you both love! You are such a darling couple! Stacy your makeup looks beautiful even in a casual setting!

Xoxo
Karena
2013 Designer Series

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Looks like fun and those houses are gorgeous!

Katherine said...

And it looks like the weather was making everything even that more enjoyable.
The selfie of you and Patrick is so sweet. Never put aside the opportunity to capture {or have a passerby capture} the moment.

The enchanted home said...

Now this looks like the perfect getaway! I love Newport. It is absolutely beautiful...with amazing homes, great restaurants, looks like you had a great time. Love Castle Hill, my brother in law got married years ago and it was such a beautiful picture perfect spot...this post brought back great memories!

Jennifer@ClassicStyleHome said...

I was supposed to be there about the same time! My husband and I were going to Newport, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket for our anniversary. We had to cancel because my husband had to go to Alaska for work. My brother and his girlfriend were going to meet us and they went ahead anyway. So jealous seeing all of your pictures! It looks like you had a great time and I will remember Castle Hill for when we do go!

Luci @Bungalow At Home said...

I love Newport! It's perfect for a weekend away! I love all your outdoor dining pictures.. For some reason, I always seem to go when it's cold!