Wabi Sabi Wednesday

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

I'm really glad you guys liked yesterday's post about my 20 favorite Etsy shops. I tried to answer each of you individually and hope I didn't miss anyone, but the short answer is that yes, I have used almost all of the stores. I have not bought any of the furniture and I have not bought any of the lights, but a friend of mine bought a light and was thrilled with it. I also haven't bought the painted globes. But I have bought (or clients have) from the rest. 

 Anyway, I think I am going to start trying to feature Etsy stores on Tuesdays.  So if you have one you love I would be thrilled if you would send me a link, even if it is your own store. 

I've been meaning to show you guys these photos for a while and I keep forgetting. This is the style known as Wabi Sabi. I'm not sure if you all will like it, but aspects of it are appealing to me so I thought I would show you. There can be real beauty in simplicity. 

For those who don't know, here is how it is described by the writers at Wikipedia: 
"Wabi-sabi represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete."  It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence, specifically impermanence, the other two being suffering and emptiness or absence of self-natureCharacteristics of the wabi-sabi aesthetic include asymmetryasperity (roughness or irregularity), simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy, and appreciation of the ingenuous integrity of natural objects and processes."

          I'm interested to see if you like it, even if you wouldn't do it in your own home. I find looking at the images sort of calming:




















This is the one sale you need to see if you are looking for anything - the prices are great (like a Global Views table for $124, hide rugs for $500, Chesterfields under $1000, etc.)  It's soooo not wabi-sabi, but who cares :)

Image Map
Sueli said...

I do like. It feels peaceful and calming as you mentioned, but I wouldn't be able to live with it on a daily basis. Maybe for a country home?
I did not know this 'style', so thanks for informing me.
Sueli
xo

Lisa said...

Love, love and yet I wouldn't necessarily decorate this way. It looks like beautiful art because of the simplicity, textures and colors. I was pinning away!

Merlin said...

Fun to "look" at..."living" with...hmmm...franki