Gorgeous Bathrooms, Living Rooms with Pops of Color, and More

Monday, February 8, 2016

Happy Monday everyone. Did you get hit with the blizzard? We did, and the kids have been home for four days. They are actually kind of bored and even though they won't admit it, I think they are eager to go back to school.

Here are some rooms I've been looking at recently, and then at the end I'll talk about and answer some questions about my family room reveal (at the end because I figure people are bored with it by now!) 



























Ok, about my family room (here again if you missed it).  

I won't go into detail again about all of the things still to be done. For those who missed it, in a nutshell they are: move the cocktail table, fix the curtain, remove the gold candle chandelier, remove the blinds, decorate the tulip table...and things like that.

People were more critical of this reveal than usual, which is totally fine, but it made me think a lot about the room. It's all good and I welcome the comments and suggestions, but it surprised me a little because I thought it was some of my better work (although I have seen from the start that the style is less traditional and not for everyone).  When I first showed it a very good friend, she said, "Is the table staying? Are you moving the sofa? I just don't get it." So don't feel badly if you were one of them who had critiques.  I asked for it, I can take it, and I appreciate the honesty.

So here is what I realized:

1. People didn't like the gallery wall layout. To be honest, I threw it up there quickly so I could photograph while the sun was out (the painter had just finished). I guess it shows, and I will rearrange it, so thank you for pointing it out. I actually don't really see that it draws the eye down like some said, but enough see it that I am going to research some different layouts. Stay tuned!


2. People didn't necessarily care for the overall layout, but I like it and after much debate and rearranging to try other configurations out, we are keeping it. I can't put the sofa in front of the tv because it is too long and interferes with the opening coming into the room (above). No one in my house likes to sit straight to face the tv, either (my slugs like to lay down whenever possible), so it was planned on an angle all along. Also, like I said, we really like it. So as much as I do appreciate the suggestions, changing the layout is one I can't take.

3. You guys were 50-50 on the black stripe over the tv. I don't know how well it photographs, but it 100% hides the tv (well, maybe 95% - better than I had even hoped). But I'm not used to it yet, so I need to live with it for a while. So I can't really answer yet what will happen with that, but I can say I don't think it is a mistake to keep it, and I don't think it is a mistake to paint over it. Like most decorating, it is totally subjective.

This is where I am headed with the tulip table - I'm inspired by Cassandra at Coco & Kelley, as always:


Ok, enough about the family room for awhile, except when it is truly "done" I will take staged photos and share again :)
________________________________________

On a side note, I don't know how many of you have noticed, but Pinterest has changed drastically over the last several months. It's a long story that boils down to this: they think they know what you want to see more than you know what you want to see. That's why you don't see pins from your favorite bloggers or pinners anymore. 

Clicking over from below is pretty much the only way you will see my pins from now on, I'm afraid: 


ALSO:  I had to change my Pinterest name. It shouldn't affect you if you follow (not that following matters anymore - seriously, it doesn't really anymore). But I am HERE if you are ever searching for me or something I pinned - pinterest.com/SSDHomeDecor
_________________________________

Finally here are some other things you can do before you go:

1. See my newly sourced rooms HERE
   
Bedroom sources: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 13
Vignette sources:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
____________________________________________________

2. View the newest Daily Deals HERE

3. Follow on Instagram HERE
 

See you tomorrow with new Etsy shop favorites! (Here is the last one)

Angelina at Petite Haus said...

I have noticed that Pinterest has been changing with lots of suggestions and not people I actually chose to follow! Now what I do is go to my list of people I follow and just click on their boards... Annoying, but I *did* choose to follow them so I want to continue to do so! Also, I added you to my bloglovin!

Katherine said...

Stacy, I know you asked for people's opinions - but really, you are the one living in the rooms. My house is much prettier, warmer and inviting than I could ever photograph (note : I need photography lessons). Live in it, play with it, change it up and back again. But enjoy every moment of your space.

Maybe Pinterest got too big for their boards. I love the inspiration I've found there and use it as a tool to start my search. I've found that wandering around a pin I like brings me to things that are much broader. I check out the people I follow and look at their recently pinned items for the most comprehensive search.
I shake my head every time the Pinbots send me a 'picked for you' pin, and it is one I just pinned myself. We are many steps ahead of them.