Let Me Tell You What I Really Think About "Decorating Rules"

Thursday, November 13, 2014


I absolutely hate decorating rules, and have for as long as I can remember. I see them all the time on Pinterest and on decorating blogs, and sometimes I read them for amusement to see how many of them I break. In design school, they even used to teach the so-called rule that "blue and green should not be seen" together. Isn't that ridiculous?

I started thinking about this last night again because I saw that someone posted on Pinterest that you should never put a mirror between windows because it draws attention from the outside or some such nonsense. Well, I am right in the middle of decorating my bedroom, as you guys know, and I'm working on a vignette that includes a mirror between the windows. So I was kind of offended. Just kidding – not really – but it did give me the idea to post about it.  

All of these photos have mirrors between the windows:




















And here are A couple of photos from my bedroom. It is a work in progress and a mess– you can even see my daughter's art project under the sofa. It looks so much better in person and I can't wait to show you better quality photos when it is painted. Honestly, sometimes I can't even believe the stuff I show you from my house. This is SO not ready to show, but who cares!




And here is another rule I always break, by mixing gold and silver:


So tell me, do you agree with any of the other decorating "rules"?




 
Subscribe by Email HERE 

Post a Comment (even from EMAIL) by Clicking HERE 




Karena said...

I say break the rules anytime one can!! We know what looks "right" and what doesn't, after all!

Mirrors look great between windows!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Never heard of such nonsense! All these images are fabulous and perfect with the mirrors between windows and I can't wait to see your redecorated bedroom!
I might just place a mirror between two indows I have...there's a new idea to do!
Hugs,
FABBY

Linda @ a design snack said...

How do they come up with some of this stuff? Beautiful examples of mirrors and windows. Looking forward to your new bedroom!

Merlin said...

Hip Hip HooRay! Feel the SAME way!! And, the same things goes for "fashion rules"...spare me...if I WANTED to wear all black all the time (for women of a "certain age"...) I would...I choose NOT! franki p.s. Mirrors are my salvation!!

The enchanted home said...

You are a girl after my own heart, i too am a rule follower, I like what I like end of story! I think you proved t he point BEAUTIFULLY!

Sandra Lee said...

That was great! Love the way you prove a point!