Bedroom Update (Getting There!) and Notes From the Weekend

Monday, November 3, 2014



You guys remember my struggles with my bedroom (here)? Actually, they were the normal struggles - not that bad and no tears or throwing of things involved. They were more along the lines of "This is what I'm going to do." Then I do it, then I think "Nah, let's do this instead." Pretty much par for the course in my own home (I've written so much about how clients home are so much easier because the perspective is fresher, etc., so I won't bore you with it again here. But if you need a tip on how to see a room with fresh eyes, you can in fact trick your brain - read here).

Anyway, the main issue was the rug, and I'm SO glad I sent the original back. It totally changed my plan for the room, but that's ok. Initially it was going to be a Mary McDonaldesque bold and high contrast room with this rug:


I wasn't loving the color of the blue. There is a blue sofa on the other side of the room, and the colors just didn't work. I knew it would be impossible to find another rug that was closer to the blue I needed so I sent it back and changed my plan.

 Here is the rug I bought. That weird shadow is from my photo program and not the actual room (time for a new computer, but I need a Mac and they are sooo expensive and I'd so much rather spend my money on my bedroom! :)


There is the blue sofa that started it all. It is from Home Goods and we adore it.  Funnily enough, the rug does not have any actual blue in it. It is shades of gray and silver but I think it looks great with the sofa anyway. Proof in my mind that sometimes not matching is better than matching:





PS:  In the photo above, which color curtains do you like better for the outside of the canopy? Cream or gold? (Please say gold since I just ordered them!) You can ignore the wrinkles – I just haven't ironed the one on the right yet. But I do think it will work better than the cream. I absolutely love the cream, but with the walls almost definitely being white, I think the gold is a better choice.

Oh, also, the settee at the end of the bed is new, from Overstock. I love it and I'm going to keep it, but it arrived without feet. I have to say I am very, very impressed with Overstock's customer service.  It is a pain that when you order from places like that sometimes problems occur, but they have been fantastic and are sending the feet out this week.

A closeup of the rug:



It also seems I am going to have to change the lamps, or at least the lampshades, because of this:


It is actually the reflection of the finial and hardware inside the shade, but it sure for the heck out of me the first time I saw it!!

_______________________________________________

For his birthday, my father took our 14 year old to see the Patriots/Broncos yesterday. If you live in New England, you know what a big deal that is! They had a blast and their team won, so despite how mad I was that it was snowing and cold (my poor baby!) I am extremely grateful for the outcome.


And this is my sweet little girl Ellie with her beloved Halloween candy.  I couldn't adore anything more than this little face:



Thank you all for reading! 

Please feel free to tell me which color curtains you like better for the bed (as long as you are going to say gold), and whether you like the rug (as long as you are going to gush and rave about it).

HAHA just kidding – tell me either way :)

My Favorite sales today:
Happy Hour!
Jamie Young. This photo doesn't do it justice


Katherine said...

Love that rug - something I call 'newly worn'.

Michele R. said...

I love the gold curtains! They're richer looking. I love the new rug. It's classy looking. The other was pretty, but too bold in a bedroom for my tastes. Is it a vintage rug?

Stacy CUrran said...

Thanks Katherine! Nope Michelle- new but with an aged look
Stacy

Sheila said...

I wouldn't bother changing the shade on your lamp. That "spider" did not show up because the shade is black it is because the sun is shining through the fabric. I have a natural linen shade in my living room right in front of the window and I have a "spider" in my lamp most of the time. As long as the lamp is in front of the window you are going to have that little creepy crawly no matter what color your shade is. PS I would go with the gold drapes. Love the new rug too.

CM Design Gallery said...

It is so nice to know that other designers have difficulties designing and decorating their own spaces. UGH!!
My master bedroom is still a working progress. Everything is in place but need wall decor.

You have beautiful taste. I love all your ideas and your bedroom will be gorgeous. I can't wait to see the final pictures.

Keep sending your pictures, so it will inspire me to finish my bedroom.

The enchanted home said...

Looking good and even before I read it I felt it had a real Mary Mcdonald vibe to it!! So you are doing a great job because i am a big fan of her work too....looking great, I love the rug and both panels looks fabulous!

Kathysue said...

♥♥♥ the new rug, so much more YOU! If the drape on the right facing the bed is the Gold, then absolutley. One thing I am not sure I read, are you going to change out the dark drapery behind the bed? Also I like the smaller metal table. Just in case you're wondering!! I think you are well on your way to a beautiful master bedroom!!!

Claudia said...

Love the Gold and the rug!

Claudia

liz said...

Definitely the gold curtains... and the rug is perfect!

Jennifer@ClassicStyleHome said...

I think the dark gray rug and dark blue sofa blends perfectly. All of that online searching paid off! The kids are so cute. Happy birthday to your not-so-little-guy!

designchic said...

It's looking so good - love the rug!! So happy all of that candy from your precious daughter is not in my house…I would have eaten it all!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the gold too. Love the rug. Would you identify it?
Thanks, Bethany.

Stacy CUrran said...

Hi Bethany, here is the rug. It is sold out at One Kings Lane, but you might be able to get it through a Feizy dealer: http://www.feizy.com/ui/DesignInfo.aspx??sv=0&intCollectionNo=771&intDesignNo=2611&KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=740&width=787&scrolling=no

Stacy CUrran said...

Rug is # 3268F Fiona, by Feizy rugs, color Driftwood.
Stacy

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Stacy...I love your new rug...it looks amazing!

Pura Vida said...

It looks amazing. The gold curtains are the right choice.sweet faces

Karena said...

Stacey I adore your new rug it is perfect, absolutely perfect!! I like the gold panels. It is all coming together!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

diane said...

Love the rug! And as SD Charger fans, thanks for beating the Broncos!

Merlin said...

Double high five!! franki

Sandra Lee said...

Saying yes to the gold curtains and the new rug!

Kay dancingbrushpainting.blogspot.com said...

I was gonna say gold even before I read that you had already ordered them! Good choice. LOVE the rug, too. And the spidery shadow is hilarious - sort of - um. I'm not bothered by spiders, but one that big? Yeech.