What I Made Today... Monogrammed Lampshades

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Just a quick update...still obsessed with my dining room. If you want to see the progress, look here (from yesterday).  Here is what I did to the Target lampshades today.... First I had to paint them. Yup, high gloss white, about 18 million coats. I'll change them for fabric eventually.

The monogram tutorial is at the end of this post.

I think I'm going to like the vignette once the second coat of black paint is up, and the mirror is hanging.  And I think the table will be glossy black, since it is fading into the molding now: 

south shore decorating, decorating, interior decorating, interior design, design, interiors, best interior decorators, best interior designers, interior design ma, interior decorating ma, best design blogs, best interior design blogs, top decorating blogs, Stacy Curran, living Rooms, dining rooms, family rooms, kitchens, bedrooms, children's rooms, girl's room, boy's rooms, finished basements, room photos, bathrooms, master bedroom, decorated rooms, room images, black and white room, blue room, green rooms, white rooms, DIY, do it yourself


This is my husband's monogram.  He won't like it because the "P" looks like an "E."  Oh, and I see that the M is a little crooked...gotta go fix that.  I see SO much more in photos than I do in real life.


And mine...much prettier, although not perfect :)


 With some black grosgrain ribbon:


It's actually kind of hard to do black on white because it needs to be perfect - with such high contrast, my eye goes to every tiny flaw:
 

That's it...just a quick update!
Stacy


OK, I'm crazy and need to get help.  In the 15 minutes since I wrote this post, I've moved them already. They're going to live here...I think the scale is better (remember I painted around the mirror for my tester coat, so that's why it looks "fuzzy"... you have to visualize!)




Ok, no more dining room photos until it is done... I promise.  I was just excited about these monograms!


TUTORIAL:

1. Go on line and search for monogram previews
2. Type the initials you want and preview it
3. Take a screenshot
4. Import the screenshot into a word processing program (I use a Mac, so for me  I could use either Keynote or Pages, which I think is the same as Word)
5. Blow it up to the size you want, and print it
6. Cut the letters out
7. Spray a little glue on the FRONT on the paper letters and press them on to your felt ($.99 at craft stores)
8. Carefully cut them out, then peel off the paper template
9. Glue to your lampshade

It's amazing that this is nine steps -- it is REALLY easy and took me 15 minutes to do two. My only helpful hint is to use very sharp sewing scissors when you are cutting the actual monogram from the felt.

_________________________________________________________


*See My 15 Most Popular Posts HERE!
a
_________________________________________________________


And on my other blog, Mary Jane's Makeup, today:
"The BEST Makeup Trick Everyone Should Know"

_______________________________________________________

mmmaaa

Up To 90% Off Luxury Consignment _________________________________________________________
 

This stuff is AWESOME: 


Last but not least.....
Image Map

a
Subscribe by Email: 
Enter your email address to get new posts delivered to your inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner
The enchanted home said...

You are a genius Stacy! I think I am going to love the black too (love black in the home) and those lampshades!! WOW I love them, you are so clever. I would buy a set from you seriously. I smell a potential business idea here, just love them!!!!! Fabulous job....look forward to seeing this room evolve! I like that you put yourself to something and you go for it and get it done..no messing around, no sir!

designchic said...

You are one talented lady...they look amazing!! I'm going to love this room and can hardly wait to see the finished project.

Stacy Curran said...

Tina...I know I sent you an email about this, but I wanted to comment for everyone else...As much as I wish I could take credit for the idea, I saw it at Shannon Berrey Design, where she did a much better job than I did! http://shannonberrey.com/BlogRetrieve.aspx?BlogID=419&PostID=137346

Jane said...

Stacy, am lovin this! The contrast is wonderful - you could use accents of any flower and colour!!! Keep the courage!!

The enchanted home said...

Sorry Stacy but you have to take credit, it is you who had the vision to remove the stripes, go black and visualize these gorgeous lampshades wtih the monogram! Holy lampshade, you are good! I didn't see the last few pics of the completed room until now, and I have to say it is GORGEOUS WITH A CAPITAL G!!!!!!!!! Worth saving and including in a future post gorgeous...yep, all you Stacy!

Shelley said...

Eeee!!!! This is going to be so freaking-fantastic I can hardly stand it! I'm LOOOOVING the direction you're going with all of this. Great... now I'm glancing over at my dining room. I'm not even done with my living room, but now I've got the dining room bug :D

Coley said...

looks great, love it! Love how bold you are :)

Amy @MaisonDecor said...

Oh I think those lampshades are looking dynamite! I am quite amazed by this room and what you are doing with it, so if you want to share before it is done,it will be fine with me!

Stitchfork said...

Oh I do love a monogram!
xo Cathy

Haus and Home said...

Looks great girl! But, is the monogram paint or fabric/felt? It looked raised, so I couldn't tell! I like how you did both monograms (so thoughtful for the hubby) :)

Tote said...

I loved where you placed the lamps last in the dining room. It looks very pulled together. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Sheri said...

What a great idea, so unique!! They turned out great!

Anna@MyDesignEthos said...

Definately like them better on your last option, the scale works well. And they are adorable, don't worry about the flaws - you won't notice them after a few days anyway! Can't wait to see the finished black wall :)

Amanda said...

Stacy this is just amazing!!!! I cant not wait to see the final pics!!

Wanda Chudzinski said...

It's beautiful! Looking forward to seeing the final reveal!

Veronica said...

Hi S. the lampshades looks great. I like!!

Veronica
xx

Just Spiff It said...

You are amazing! I am happy to see someone else who likes monograms as much as me!! If you get a chance, check out a chair I monogrammed. http://justspiffit.com/2011/07/20/monograms-all-by-yourself/
Keep those dining room photos coming.

Sprytebyrd said...

Oh my goodness! Your dining room is just STUNNING!! I love the color scheme and the monograms looks perfect! I definitely have Dining Room envy now... my poor dining room, with it's blank beige walls, lonely table and chairs... sigh... :) Thanks for the inspiration!!
Dee Sprytebyrd's Sentiments

Joselyn @ The DIY Spot said...

Love the monogrammed lamps and the detailed mirrors against the black wall. Bold and dramatic! Looking forward to the final reveal.

Haven said...

Gorgeous dining room! I love the black and white! So elegant! And that buffett ... just beautiful. You have such a wonderful eye for great design.

Veronica said...

Beautiful room! Love the black wall- so dramatic and your monogram lampshades are so striking!!

Natalie @ Johnny In A Dress said...

Hey Stacy! Just wanted to let you know that I will be featuring this post on my blog this Wednesday! Love those lamps!
www.johnnyinadress.com

Kirstin said...

Love the idea!! A simpler monogram would also look great 'punched' into the shade, maybe with some colored paper, giving it a glow!

www.HelloKirsti.com

Debra @ Common Ground said...

So elegant, your monogramed lampshades are gorgeous! Your room is really coming together!thanks for linking up to VIF, xo Debra

Connie said...

great idea...I have about 6 billion lamps I need to redo so thanks for the idea!!

Desiree said...

How creative! I must try this. They look really great and I am loving the dining room! Can't wait to see when it's all done.

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Stacy, You really are good. If black and white is hard you made it look easy. Perfection. I like the entire direction of your dining room.

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

It's gorgeous! Everything in the room is just dreamy!
Thanks for linking!
XO

Traci said...

I have been wanting to see a black and white dining room, my favorite colors to use in a home. And yours is perfect, love the way everything is looking. So crisp! Love the lampshades - thanks for the tutorial!

Jenny said...

Oh I love this!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

it looks lovely! i love the texture it has as opposed to being printed or painted on,

Claire said...

I adore anything monogram! These are fab as is the parts of the dining room I can see-hope for a full tour soon- I'm your newest follower!!

Kirsten said...

These are great! So clever! And, don't worry about imperfections - we are our own worst critics, so no one will notice but you!
Thanks!

Marie said...

Love the lamps and the room! Thanks for linking up with us!

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

abeachcottage said...

Great lampshades and your dining room is looking gorgeous! Thanks for linking to Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

I love monograms and anything monogrammed is fabulous in my book!These are darling- well done! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Love, adore, swoon! They are just stunning! The room is fantastic!! Found you via No Minimalist Here/On Sutton Place party. Pop on over for a visit when you get a moment. Tootles, Kathryn
http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-do-you-see.html

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Really appreciate you linking up this fantastic post at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Hope you'll continually share your creativity with us at the weekly party :)

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

Gorgeous! So glad that you linked up again...I've missed your beautiful projects! I've now signed up to get your feed via email. Also...I'd like to feature this next week! :)

Lori said...

Great room, glad I found it on Inspire Me Fridays!!! Please link all of your progress there.

All About Vignettes said...

Hello. Just stopping by from At the Picket Fence. I absolutely love the lamps. I'm your newest follower.

Kathy

michele said...

Visiting from miss mustard seed’s party, and love this! Come visit me anytime!
michele

Gypsy Heart said...

I stopped by from The Picket Fence and so glad I did. I love black & white! You've done a beautiful job with these lampshades and I dare say, many other things. :-) Will be a new follower and checking out your blog. Stop by and say hi when you can ~

Pat

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Totally love the black and white. The monogram turned out great. Thanks for linking up to Open House Party. Your blog is a blast!

At The Picket Fence said...

Your dining room is seriously so gorgeous!! I love that it has a traditional feeling but with that modern twist to it that takes it up a notch...or 2...or a million. LOL! Those monogram shades add so much charm and we are so glad you shared your talent with us this week at Inspiration Friday!
Vanessa

Claire said...

I love these monogrammed lampshades-I'm featuring them on my blog today!

Renee said...

Those lampshades look so classy! You did a fantastic job. I would love it if you would share this post on my brand new Saturday link party at http://rustic-crafts.com

Carole @ The Blue Chateau said...

I absolutely love monograms! Those lamps look beautiful. In fact, the entire room is gorgeous!

Lindsay said...

Just wanted to let you know that I featured this today! Congrats! Grab a button if you'd like!

http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/show-share-2-features.html

Judy said...

That looks absolutely fabulous. I will be featuring you at my Sizzle into Summer party tomorrow night that opens at 8pm EST. Please drop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

Kristen said...

LOVE IT!!! I just keep coming back to look at it :) My kitchen/family room are in black & white, so this is right up my alley! GREAT job! Where did you get that incredible chandelier?? Gorgeous! I think I'll copy your fabulous monogrammed shade idea for my sconces in my master bedroom! Can't say how much I love this!!!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Those look great and your dining room is looking good, too. Thanks for joining WOW.

Megan @ PolishTheStars.com said...

Love the lamps and I can't wait to see how your dining room turns out! I featured you on my blog. :)

http://www.polishthestars.com/2011/08/monday-link-party-31.html

Chef in Training said...

love these lamps! and the room is gorgeous!

I would love it if you would share this and/or any other projects you have been up to at Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training! Plus there is a fun giveaway too! Thanks so much and I hope to see you there!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Stacy Curran said...

Hi Kristen,
I got the chandelier a few years ago on one of the big lighting stores..Lamps Plus or Lighting Direct? Sorry I can't recall better!
Stacy

housedressingblog.blogspot.com said...

As a Southerner, I do have a thang for monograms!
Loving the dining room, can't wait to see the finished result! I did my guest bathroom with black walls and a white Ballard Design monogrammed shower curtain.

Mandy said...

Amazing! Thank you for sharing.
www.projectqueen.org

Maury said...

This is so great! I immediately pinned it. BTW, I LOVE your dining room. It's gorgeous. I'm a new follower!
afabulesshome.blogspot.com

Desiree @ The 36th Avenue said...

Stacy,

I'll be featuring your project tomorrow during STICKER TIME! Feel free to come over and button up!

evie @ brown paper packages said...

That is a seriously GORGEOUS room. I go absolutely ga-ga over black and white....just stunning!!! Newest follower over here!

UB said...

Hi, does your room need to be very large to make it a black and white. Monogrammed lampshade is very good. What is the lamp shade material used. What are the monograms made of? Can you divulge this information? Hope I am not asking too much. Thanks.

Stacy Curran said...

Hi UB,
I don't think the room needs to be large, but it helps if if is bright and sunny. Also, I have a lot of white....paneling and large molding....that breaks up the black. The shades are hard paper, and the letters are felt. The instructions are at the bottom of the post. Thanks! Stacy 

Chef in Training said...

SOOO Pretty! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Tammy@InStitches said...

The room is Gorgeous ! I really do love black walls.... So happy to have found your blog.

Happy Mom said...

Absolutely stunning room & project! You could also use a monogrammed decal for the lampshades :) Super easy- just peel and stick. www.ElectrasMonograms.com