Kitchen Paneling Reveal

Sunday, May 15, 2011



Last week I added these boxes to my kitchen walls to resemble panelling. It's not rocket science, but it was a lot of work (10 days start to finish, fitting it in where I could).  Here is a summary:  Materials: compound miter saw (mine was $70 at Lowes), molding, wood glue, caulk, caulk gun, sanding equipment, and paint.  Plan out the design and measure where you want your boxes.  Set your saw to 45 degrees, and start cutting the lengths you have measured.  PLEASE don't cut off your finger. And PLEASE wear goggles - the pieces do fly everywhere.   I cut one box at a time because it got confusing cutting so many different lengths at once.  Then I just placed them on the floor where they would go.

After the cutting was done, I used a level and wood glued them to the wall (because they are lightweight plastic - with wood, you would nail them).   

Here is a work in progress photos:


I'm new at the painter's caulk, so mine was fairly messy. You can see some of it reflected on the wall here.  I had to sand it off later. The paint is Cloud White semi-gloss by Ben Moore.



Today, I'm FINISHED.  And I have to say, I am so happy to be done with this project.  It took absolutely ALL of my skills and patience.  It was not easy, and not fun, but I love the results. The kitchen is so much lighter and brighter.  Here is how it looks today:







_________________________________________________________


*See My 15 Most Popular Posts HERE!
a
_________________________________________________________


And on my other blog, Mary Jane's Makeup, today:
"The BEST Makeup Trick Everyone Should Know"

_______________________________________________________

mmmaaa

Up To 90% Off Luxury Consignment _________________________________________________________


  Let's Be Friends:
If you are reading this post in an EMAIL and want to like of Facebook, CLICK THE BLUE BLOG TITLE, not the Like box, below.  Sorry, Like boxes don't work in emailed posts unless you GO TO THE PAGE BY CLICKING THE TITLE of the blog. Thanks a lot Facebook!  

               

     

               
 

This stuff is AWESOME: 

Last but not least.....
Image Map

a
Subscribe by Email: 
Enter your email address to get new posts delivered to your inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Amy @MaisonDecor said...

This looks great! You should be sharing at more places!

Conspicuous Style Design Blog said...

Thank you Amy! Once I figure out where to share, I will be! I really appreciate all the advice you give me :) I wouldn't know what to do without people like you and Linda at theLENNOXX

The enchanted home said...

Gorgeous with a capital G!!!!!!!!! Wow I am impressed. Just fabulous.....looks like a magazine shoot, seriously. Really beautiful. Enjoy it, it came out just amazing. I love it.

Conspicuous Style Design Blog said...

Thank you so much Tina! I love your style and really value your opinion!

CAS said...

This is so beautiful! I love every single thing about it. Great job.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Hi!

Thank you so much for dropping by! It's very nice to "meet" you and see your beautiful kitchen. It's looking amazing! I hope you have a smile every time you enter it, because it's definitely gorgeous!

Have a blessed week!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

K.D. Kinney said...

This looks beautiful! I'm glad to know there's another DIY-hesitant blogger out there, but it looks great. Good work!

3pointperspective.blogspot.com

Sheer Serendipity said...

Wow! You should be sharing this all over! The moldings look amazing, very impressive!

At The Picket Fence said...

This is INCREDIBLE!!! You are so talented and have such great style and this is all beyond gorgeous. I'm your newest follower! :-)
Vanessa
P.S. I agree with the others that you should be sharing this at as many places as possible because it is just that good! We host a linky party every week called Inspiration Friday and would love to have you join in the fun sometime. :-)

Conspicuous Style Design Blog said...

Thank you SO much everyone! Your comments mean so much to me!
Stacy

Jennifer said...

I am totally amazed! You did a great job and it looks like a pro did it. Thanks for sharing :)

Hugs,
Jennifer

http://southerninspirationsblog.blogspot.com

Lori said...

That. Looks. Amazing!!! How did you figure out what measurements you wanted the boxes to be?

Conspicuous Style Design Blog said...

Lori: t's kind of up you -- whatever you like! I did a pattern going from larger in the middle to smaller on the sides of the walls. I think that is a little more interesting than all the same size. So, if I had a 7.5 foot wall, for example, I'd do the middle column of boxes 2.5 feet wide, the outer columns of boxes (2 of them - one on each side) at 1.5 feet wide, and .5 feet between each column and on the sides. So, 2.5 plus 1.5 plus 1.5 plus .5x4= 7.5 feet. Make sense?

Jen said...

Lovely room! I love the green curtains. I have been on a green kick lately lol!

Honey at 2805 said...

Wow! What a job, and beautifully done! Your hard work certainly paid off.

amy@flexibledreams said...

NICE JOB!! It looks so beautiful!

Honey at 2805 said...

I have just become a follower and hope you will consider same.

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

That is absolutely beautiful!! I WILL be featuring you next week! I just LOVE this! Thanks so much for linking...your blog is beautiful! :)

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Wow, that came out so great. you are so brave! ;-) Thanks so much for linking this up to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday link party! Love your blog, I'm going to have a look around some more.

elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Wow! This turned out amazing. I can't wait to read more of your blog, so happy I found you.

wyochats said...

Beautiful, I have been thinking about doing something similar in my daughters room.

willow said...

I love it; your kitchen looks so spacious and stylish! I might have to give this project a try.

willow said...

opps forgot to say i'm your newest follower. I can't wait to see what you tackle next :)

Innkeeper Seely said...

Just wonderful!

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

It looks gorgeous! The paneling makes me think of some of the plantation homes that I toured when I lived in Virginia. Very classy.

Kim said...

Holy cow! How have I not seen this blog before??? I love your style! I'm your newest follower.
Pop over sometime and enter my giveaway.
xoxo,
kim

At The Picket Fence said...

So I'm not quite sure how my sister forgot to tell me to come over here but, I just saw your link at our Inspiration Friday and this is FABULOUS! I mean really fabulous. I think I swooned a little when I saw it. I also appreciate how real you are with the not so pretty side of DIY..caulk can be pretty darn awful can't it? lol Thank you so much for sharing your lovely project with us. I am keeping this one bookmarked for sure!

Heather

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

I'm in love love love!!!!!!!!!
So glad to have found your blog!
XO
Kristin

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Very well done and a project you should be proud of! I found your link at Inspiration Friday...glad I did. Looking forward to exploring your blog some more. You certainly have a lovely home. Classic yet so today. ~Ann

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That took a lot of time and patience. I am glad my husband can do those kind of projects and I just do the painting. Great look. thanks for joining WUW.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Wow this is an amazing! I absolutely love how it turned out! I have done just wainscoting and love the results but love the look of your whole wall being done. It's gorgeous- well done! Now following you~ would love for you to come share this at Feathered Nest Friday sometime! :)

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Beautiful job...this is a beautiful room!!!
Have a beautiful week to go with your beautiful room...(way to many beautifuls in this comment!!!)

Kim @ It's a Crafty Life said...

Wow, that looks beautiful! Very time and work intensive, but so worth it! Love the rug under the table too. Looks amazing, you did great! Thanks for linking up!

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating said...

I love it!!! And aren't you so glad you pushed through the tears and frustration?! Most DIYers have been there. I would bet money that even Kat at Centsational Girl and Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick have been there a few times. But it's so worth it in the end to see the results, and to be able to say, "Look what I did!!"

idesign said...

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!! i love projects like these...i recently did a wainscoting post, its amazing the way you can transform a wall with a little bit of wood :)

found you over at three little birds, come by for a visit sometime

Jackie
http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com/

Saby said...

Wow - this looks so awesome! I would love to try this in our house....now just have to think of a way to convince the hubby :).

Kate@TwentySixToLife said...

This looks amazing! I know you said it was hard - but the results are gorgeous!

Always A Treasure said...

Your home is AMAZING!! Are you sure this is your home and not a catalog shoot :) ....It is GORGEOUS!!

theteo5 said...

I think your home looks amazing! What a great job! And to think of the pride in having done it yourself. Awesome work!

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Not rocket science stuff!! Are you kidding me?? I couldn't do that in a million years!! Oh...I make a few things here and there but I could never do this. Even though I measure twice and cut once, I still always manage to screw up. Those walls are stunning. I have always thought that look was so classic and beautiful....great job!!

Kara said...

Looks amazing. You may have given me the courage to try this in the dining room. I'm sure I will shed some tears too.

Not Your Ordinary Agent said...

wow, your kitchen is gorgeous. well done! http://homesandbabies.blogspot.com

Tanya @ Greetings From the Asylum said...

Your redo is absolutely lovely. Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower. I would love it if you came over to Greetings From the Asylum and followed me too!

Carol-Anne (Use the Good Dishes!) said...

visiting from Addicted 2 Dec.....

LOVE this project and it's convinced me to try it myself. Your whole place looks lovely!

Maridith @ Strictly Homemade said...

Absolutely Amazing. You did a fabulous job. I would never try this on my own and you did an amazing job. I have been stalking your blog for the past 30 minutes and I am now your newest follower. LOVE YOUR STYLE. LOVE YOUR BLOG!! Tomorrow I am featuring you at Strictly Homemade Tuesday. Thanks so much for linking up to Strictly Homemade, I do hope you will be back this week. You are awesome!!

Rachel Asher said...

Love this! Visiting from Strictly Homemade and I'm a new follower :)

B.E.Hughes said...

Its so curious that I would stumble on this page today! I have been recovering for a procedure this week and have been looking at my walls thinking I need to learn how to put boxes on them and the ceiling for eye appeal. I know my hubby will NEVER attempt it, but it looks easy enough for me to do. (Another plus, I am NOT afraid of nails! That would speed up the job for me considerably!)
Thank you for the clear instructions for my big project! :D

Shelia said...

WOW! How gorgeous! Your walls are beautiful and so is your home! You're very good.
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

kitchen and bath charlotte said...

Oh my this is gorgeous! This looks amazing and so unique! You are very ambitious to take this on all by yourself... congrats on a job well done.

ps: i also love the colors.. I decorated my bedroom in our old house in black, white, and green.

Conspicuous Style Design Blog said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Conspicuous Style Design Blog said...

Thank you all so much - you are all SO kind, and I met many new bloggy friends through this, so it was SO worth it :)
Stacy

Grey Stables said...

Oh this is amazing! We have done very small amounts of picture-framing molding ourselves and boy it is a TRIAL! Yooooooou are very brave and very good...what a fantastic new look you've made for yourself. Lovely :)

Kristen said...

This is beautiful - you did an amazing job! And I love your chandy!!! :)

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Stacy - Your molding work is stunning. I love the floor to ceiling look and the white - makes such a statement. I truly love this look - very inspiring space. You have done a fantastic job! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase party - I greatly appreciate it. I hope you don't mind that I have included this in today's features. Hope you have a lovely holiday weekend ~ Stephanie Lynn

Desiree said...

I love you molding work and your kitchen! I have some molding in my house and after seeing what you have done I love to put it everywhere. I'm a new follower!

Judy said...

Seriously...that is really amazing. I saw you featured over at At the Picket Fence and had to stop by to tell you how awesome that molding looks. Hope you will drop by my blog and say hi.

Cheryl @ Sew Can Do said...

Wow - this is a big job too, even for a real DIY lover. It looks amazing! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

JoEllen said...

I saw you over at Shabby Nest and I can not believe this is one of your first DIY projects. This space is amazing!! I love the white, love the molding, love the room. You did an outstanding job!!

Michell @ Girl In Air said...

Hi! That is GORGEOUS!! I'm new here...can't wait to look around!

Poppy said...

Oh my goodness Stacy, you did it!!! You finished it and it looks absolutely amazingly gorgeousssss!!!Congratulations on getting featured at The Picket Fence! Its so wonderful to see this beautiful room....and the new mirrors look awesome ! Have a wonderful weekend!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

At The Picket Fence said...

Hi Stacy! We wanted to let you know we featured your lovely project at Inspiration Friday! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Heather and Vanessa

Christy, Home-Mom said...

So Lovely, I can't even imagine the work that went into this. I can, but don't want to .)

It's all beautiful but my fave are the pictures framed inside the paneling of the wall.

I'd love to have you come by my Make & Share craft hop at HOMEmomMADE.

{nifty thrifty things} said...

Wow! That is amazing!
Thank you so much for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
I hope to see you again tomorrow!
xoxo,
Vanessa

Megan @ PolishTheStars.com said...

That looks amazing! Thanks for linking up to my party. I just featured your project! :)

http://www.polishthestars.com/2011/05/link-party-monday-21.html

I'm Busy Procrastinating said...

What a lot of work! Good on you for tackling it yourself. The molding makes everything look so polished. Found you today via one of the link parties. Now to check out all your other stuff ....

FABBY'S LIVING said...

OMG! You did an incredible and professional job, my dear! Congrats, it looks fabulous!! I'm glad to be your newest follower as I love interior decorating,(amateur type) and decorators, like you! I'm also at Show and Tell Friday, come on over, I'd be thrilled! Have a great weekend. FABBY

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi there~ stopping back to say thanks so much for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday this week- highlighting it at the party tonight! :)

plumbing supplies said...

It’s a collection of links to blog entries discussing recipes, food traditions, stories, Jewish law, restaurant or cookbook reviews – anything related to kosher food. For example, this month mominisrael shows us a cooking ingredient spreadsheet; Pesky Settler presents a psychedelic tie-dyed cheesecake; and I submitted my cholent entry.

Carolyn@SweetChaos said...

Wow! You did a fantastic job! I am a lot like you... I'd like to be a DIYer, but it definitely doesn't come naturally. I saw TDC at a craft store recently, and didn't say hi because I was embarrassed to admit to her that I spent an hour trying to locate the Mod Podge aisle.

So glad I found your blog! I'm your newest follower :)

Dilipgupta said...

Hello
We are the most resourceful interior design firm in Northeast Florida, with affiliate DOTI locations across America.
Our goal is to create extraordinary home interiors that combine your personal vision and budget with functional choices that will bring you a home that you love for years to come! For mor info......http://www.doti.com

Roryvan said...

Stacy, your dining room and kitchen are beautiful! love the green, black, and white! I added the picture frame molding to my dining room and hallway as well, but I found ready-made panels at Lowe's to glue and nail up (I did both). They came in only 3 different sizes, but I was pleased with the results - perfectly mitered corners and no cutting - super easy! Caulking was a messy job, but it is amazing what it can do!

Lauren said...

WOW! For saying you're not a DIY'er, this is amazing! I love the entire look of this space, and from peeking through to the other rooms, your entire decor is great and looks like it seamlessly flows from room to room. I'm a new follower now!

- Brittany said...

Oh my! I know that was a ton of work. It looks it. But, well worth the effort. It looks gorgeous. Thanks for sharing (hopping over from The Inspired Room.)

Brittany (aka Pretty Handy Girl)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. It's really provide good idea.



kitchen remodeling coral springs

blinds nottingham said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Belle Inspiration Magazine said...

This looks beautiful - job well done. Glad I found your website, I'm a new follower.
Bonne journée,
Mimi

Real Estate Philippines said...

Good thing you have done here, Thanks! Very beautiful.

new houses for sale Philippines

decorative said...

This is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing for nice idea

Ken said...

Stacy, you did a wonderful job laying out and installing your wall frames!

Few people -- even professional finish carpenters -- get the spacing correct; but you did it perfectly. Great job!

I'm going to create a link from my blog to this page so my readers can be inspired by your work.

Cheers,
Ken

Davidoff Cool Water Perfume India said...

Beautiful decorations. I also thought of getting a kitchen which is well decorated. Probably i'm week in this kind of ideas. I'm about to remodel my kitchen from -- kitchen remodeling contractor

Amelia said...

Oh my goodness, i just love this! It's so cute!! In a few weeks I'm gonna start my own remodeling project from--kitchen remodeling roanoke and I am absolutely stoked! I love the kitchen table with the beautiful and classy, yet modern feel to it. AH! So good! :)

suzyq said...

Wow - I am so impressed!
Absolutely gorgeous...........
xxx

Anonymous said...

Wow! Absolutely beautiful. What is the paint color you used? It's bright and lovely!

plumbing said...

Many people do a kitchen once in their lives. If not once, then at most, only a few times more. The decisions made NEED to be as right as they can be at those moments in the design process. It's a time to look in the present, as well as forward, and back, especially, as I help my clients and readers unravel habit vs. desire, as one example.

Henry Murray said...

This blog post is worth reading. Photos are great. You have very unique sense of style. Perhaps what makes the outcome so good is that you're aware of what you want.
flooring perth

Anne said...

I like the carpet under that cool dining table. The entire interior design looks superb. I love the idea of adding black colors that make the designs more elegant. I look forward to seeing more designs and DIY renovations. perth home renovations

Steam Showers said...

Amazing transformation, the port hole mirrors are a great addition. They really give the space a 3 dimensional look.

Marco Phillipstein said...

I've got to say, your kitchen looks great. I love the transformation. This made me want to renovate my entire home. Thanks for sharing this one.

safety training programs

jacob black said...

you should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site.
Injury at work claims

P.S. I love this... said...

I always find teh prettiest things on your blog. Your molding is stunning. I had no idea plastic molding existed. Was it cheaper than wood?

I'm considering finally tackling adding molding to my first floor. I will refer to this post often. =)