Part 1: My Latest Design Project / Part 2: The Incredible Work of Artist and Textile Designer Lindsey Cowles

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Yesterday was really nostalgic for me.  As most of you know, my mom passed away almost two years ago.  My parents had been living in the house they moved to about 10 years ago (my dad is still there), only a few miles from the house I grew up in. Since losing my mom, I hadn't driven by the childhood house because it was too sad. Yesterday I did though. All I could think was, "Where did 30 years go?" Driving down that street was as familiar as ever. I know it like the back of my hand and I almost convinced myself I was going home for curfew.  I thought I'd share a photo (although my parents took better care of the landscaping when we were there).  My mother picked out that front door.  Actually, they built the house entirely in 1970, but I remember my mom changing the door after the house was broken into around 1980.  I wish we had kept it when they moved:


It was a great house and a wonderful place to grow up. We walked to school, rode bikes to the penny candy store, played basketball and snow football in the driveway, and lived a mile from the ocean. I also spent many, many hours playing hopscotch on those slate pavers as a child.  A blog is a good place to document memories, and I thank you guys for indulging me.

Anyway, I was on the Cape yesterday to work on a client's house. I wanted to show you a preview today because I'm really excited about how it is coming out - everything you see is new except the table between the chairs, which is being replaced. It also still needs to be painted - the pale yellow will be Ben Moore Swiss Coffee (cream colored) tomorrow. This project was weird and the painting came last. Along with the new paint, there will be flowers in the vase and something tall on the tables, and then it will be done:



Next,  I wanted to show you the work of another designer I really admire. Her name is Lindsay Cowles, and I bet you're heard of her, or at least seen her work. She paints abstract designs and then has them made into wallpapers and fabrics. Isn't that cool? (Kind of like Spoonflower, which is a site you should know if you don't already.)  She also sells her paintings - you'll find the details at her website.  Here is some of her work.

My favorite of her abstracts:


 
And some wallpapers and fabrics:





     

And here is some of her work in installations:





























Isn't her work incredible? I'm sorry in advance to those of you who, like me, could never go back to Waverly prints after seeing these ;)

Finally, I wanted to show you these....

The first one is World's Away, the second is Pier1:

  

And this - the first is Anthropologie, the second is also Pier1:




See you all tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this with us Stacy - your childhood home looks wonderful, and your memories are a treasure that you will never lose. xoxo

Anonymous said...

I remember that house! -Niki

sara said...

I love Lindsay Cowles! I have one of her large abstract canvases above my mantel that I got from One Kings Lane. I am dying for some of her wallpaper in my dining room too! Someday!