My New Family Room Plan

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I think I've mentioned a few times that I'm changing some things in my family room:


I may have understated things :) 

First, the floors are going to be a deep chocolate brown in a few weeks, like these:




Next, I'm changing the furniture and rug.  I'm pretty much copying one of my favorite rooms of all time, by Nate Berkus:




Well, not copying entirely, but certainly copying the feel. Oh, and the rug.  I got the exact same rug on ebay.... I'm so excited!!!  I'd been looking at the Ralph Lauren one at Horchow/Neiman's for a loooooong time, but could never justify the cost, so I was thrilled to find this "copy."  I know the Ikea one is the same, too, but it's been out of stock in my area forEVER.

Next, the furniture.  I ordered new furniture at a local store in dark gray and white.  I got this sofa in a white fabric that has the littlest bit of a sparkle woven into it.  Much prettier than the fabric pictured, in my opinion:

I also ordered two loveseats in dark gray velvety fabric.  These will go across from each other where the blue chairs and white loveseat are now.  This is the closest image I can find to the ones I ordered - love the bench seat:

But the fabric (and floors and layout) looks more like this:



The center tables are these bunching tables - four of them in a square so they can be pulled over to put a computer, food, etc. on:

Click this image to go to product

Here they are in the room, although the floors and furniture haven't changed yet....I think they'll look better with the new style room:




 Finally, the console behind the main sofa will be this:


Can you see the Nate influences?  I ran out of money, but if I could I would add an etagere like one of  these:






And a bar cart like one of these:








And a couple of fretwork chairs like these for near the fireplace:

So, it will look like this, but with the main sofa being white, not beige:



And I'll most certainly be painting, and most probably it will be white.  Here are the many, many inspiration photos that I pulled from:















































,Must See Daily Deals
 
.
The enchanted home said...

Hi Stacy, just stopping in to say hi to some of my fave blogs, miss being here! I love the inspiration...but I also love your room now, you have wonderful taste so I know whatever you do is going to be amazing, and I am a huge fan of velvet anything so cannot wait to see the two gray loveseats!! Have fun, look forward to seeing what you do!

Amy @MaisonDecor said...

I liked the first and last inspiration pics best~the white sofa with the two pink pillows and the white tufted sofa with the zebra chair and botanicals...I think your room is going to look so much better with dark floors!! But really, are you all moving out when they stain them? That alone would make me never go ahead with it...but it is going to make all the difference!

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

Oh my gosh! Talk about changes! I think it's going to look Amazing! I especially love the idea of darkening the floors! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

suzyq said...

Hi Stacy - I am a new follower and just wanted to say your plans are absolutely stunning - can't wait to see the finished product -
And your inspiration pics are pure eye candy
Will be " following closely "
I am new to blogging and you are like a goddess to me.
Take care,
Suzan

Jenny said...

I can't wait to see it all pulled together! It's going to be gorgeous! Great inspiration photos, as usual! So jealous of the floors - those are on my list this year, and I can't wait to have them in my own home. Meanwhile, I'll live vicariously through you. ;-)

Haus and Home said...

I can't wait to see it complete! You had so many inspirational pictures up there I thought it was Friday already :)

for the love of a house said...

All your individual elements look wonderful!! How exciting, and can't wait to see the end room!

joan

Lana said...

Hi,
We had our hardwood floors refinished from the orange oak to a darker stain 3 years ago. It was a hassle at the time, but so worth it. Can't wait to see the new room.

Jean @ Flower Hill said...

First the coffee table is fabulous! I love how you grouped four together! Second, the sofas are amazing. Sooooo pretty. And I love all of your inspiration photos! I can't wait to see how it all comes together!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a change! One question I have: what will you do with your old furniture and furnishings? Do you resell/consign/donate? What does your family think of the new changes?
Niki

Stacy Curran said...

Niki- I can't reply directly to anonymous comments, but to answer your questions, yes we will sell or give the old furniture away, and my family is excited!
Stacy

Simple Dwellings said...

I love where you're going with this space! All of your choices and inspiration images are beautiful! Looking forward to the reveal. :)

Amanda said...

so fun! I cant wait to see it all finished! I have swooned over that rug for for-ever!

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

How exciting! I am loving your inspiration! I also love Nate Burkus's apartment! It will be fun to see the finished project and all of the steps along the way! I also think the 4 tables are a perfect blend of functional and beautiful!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I feel that your current room is stunning and with your changes, I cannot imagine how gorgeous it will be..As I stated before, I regret not doing the dark stain on the floors again. I think I now prefer the added upkeep to have the beauty!..I also regret the decision not to go with a white sofa..My practicality entered, thinking about the grandchild and grand dogs, but I can say that my granddaughter is extremely neat and very respectful of others belongings...

Cannot wait to see the finished product..You have the utmost impeccable taste!

cerniks said...

Granted, I love your room the way it is right now!....but I am so EXCITED to see what you do. Your ideas are fabulous! I am in love with the coffee table idea. Where are those from? You always find such amazing furniture!

Whitney

Karena said...

Stacy I love your choices! Can you believe the inspiration out there. It is just amazing to be able to find so many great ideas and images!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

pam {simple details} said...

Gorgeous! I know it will be stunning and we'll all be pinning it for our inspirations pictures! :)

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Stacy, How exciting... Love the coffee table idea. Actually love the whole plan. Cant wait to see it all done.

Lauren said...

I think your family room now is so beautiful! I'm sad to see you change it, but you do have impeccable taste so I'm sure whatever you do will be stunning!

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

I love your new rug! I never think to go to eBay for things like this, but what a great score! You have a great eye and with white sofas in the family room, I'd say your brave too! :) my parents had a white sofa when we were kids that we were banned from sitting on!

Your pictures are amazing!

Splenderosa said...

Your new room is going to be fabulous, Stacy. I've seen a few of these rooms before and already loved them, so I adore the direction you're going with your home. xx's

Kathysue said...

Stacy how exciting, new furniture!! I love what you have now so if you feel it needed a change it has to be even better than what it is now and I think that is GREAT!!! Is the white fabric durable for a family room? I would love to know, I am just not brave enough for white in my family room but have always wanted to be brave enough. Love love the new rug!!! One of my all time favs too. It will be so fun to see what all you do. You have impeccable taste and design skills so it will be magnificient!!!
xo Kathysue

lifeloveluxe said...

Where do I even start?? First, LOVE the chocolate floors. I've always thought they are so rich and warm in a room. Second: that sofa is sheer perfection. I've been shopping for one as well and DYING over the subtle tufting. Where did you find it?

Overall, the concept is gorgeous and I think I'm echoing everyone here when I say: can't wait to see it!!

Aurelia (A Pretty Life) said...

lovely inspirations........

http://aprettylife13.blogspot.com/

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

Oh Stacy guuuuuuurl! That is quite the undertaking and it's going to be *fabulous*! I can't wait to see that gorgeous rug in action, love! Everything you do turns out lovely, so I'm sure this will be no exception!

pretty pink tulips said...

Stacy,
I so adore everything you showed. I hope to be redoing my family room once our renovation is complete and I can send my boys to the new upstairs family room/playroom. And, let's just say....if I was to put together an inspiration file for that room....I would copy this post in its entirety!

And, just a fun thing...you've included a photo of my friend, Sue's house. It's just as beautiful as the photo. (It's the one with the purple Amanda Talley painting above the fireplace!

xo Elizabeth

Carolyn@SweetChaos said...

Oh my goodness... this is so exciting!! Love your selections and your inspiration photos. Can't wait to see it all come together :)

michele said...

love all the inspiration and your plans for the room, stacy. you have incredible taste!

michele

EthanJoshua said...

Beautiful!!! Most of the light decors are very colorful and artistically designed, so they will make very attractive your house. Thanks for share lovely post.
Toronto Painters