DIY Abstract Paint Canvas Art

Monday, October 12, 2015

Ellie and I made these over the weekend with some old canvases and acrylic paint. They were totally random (we used brushes, paper towels, fingers, and even a paint cap to spread paint) and I could not recreate them exactly if you paid me a million dollars.

Painting #1:





Painting #2:








Painting #3:




Painting #4:





Painting #5:




Painting #6:




It was NOT as easy as I thought it would be to achieve this mostly blended look that I wanted. But by the end, after a few do-overs, I found a definite technique:  I'd start with 2 or 3 colors in the corners of the canvas. I'd blend them with white, but not too much or the colors would get muddy. Then I added more white where it needed a pop, and blended some more to soften the transition between colors. It sounds kind of vague, I know.

HERE is the post with the video tutorials on how I did this.

Now, to go scrape the paint of my floors, table, island, grill, and one cabinet door.

What's that? A drop cloth you say?

Sorry, never heard of one.




Unknown said...

Would love to see your technique for these paintings!

Unknown said...

Three words, Volcano, Sunset, Ocean. Very beautiful.

Unknown said...

Please do video and include cost breakdown of everything. MC

Deborah said...

Would love to see a video. I have wanted to try this for awhile but have been afraid to take plunge.

swedecollection said...

Yes, I'd love to see a video. I do these as well and would be interested in how other people do them. Also, can you tell us what size of canvas you are using? I think this original art is really great to put in your home. They are easily switched out when you want another color as the focus point. I use different colors for spring, summer, fall and winter in my switch ups. I would appreciate your sharing. Thanks.

Gigi said...

A video would be fantastic. Your work turned out amazing! Beautiful job.

Karena said...

Stacy you ARE an artist and I love all of these! Brava!!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Palm Beach Chic

Anonymous said...

Would love to see a video.

Sandra Lee said...

Yes, you are an artist! I love abstract art and having trying to get my husband back to his canvases for years. Maybe I will have to learn your technique and do them myself.

Sandra Lee said...

Yes, you are an artist! I love abstract art and having trying to get my husband back to his canvases for years. Maybe I will have to learn your technique and do them myself.