DIY Abstract Art Video Tutorial

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

My daughter Ellie was home sick today, so I figured it was a good opportunity to get her to hold my phone for a video.  In retrospect, maybe it was too hard for her to concentrate with a fever.... I should have waited. So, because the video here isn't up to par, just consider this a preview - I'll do a better one soon in the colors you guys liked. Also, the canvas I used was really bumpy with old layers, so I need a fresh one. Stay tuned!!

This post is a follow up video tutorial to my earlier post about DIY Abstract art. 
To see those first, click HERE.
_________________________________________________

Ok, first, THANK YOU so much for the nice emails and comments. I was kind of overwhelmed by them (in a good way). You guys are too kind.

Secondly, I feel very badly about comparing my "art" to that of any real artist. They truly pale in comparison, and I would never say that abstract art is easy (just the opposite). My technique is really that of a hack, and is just meant to inspire those who, like me, like to try their hand in a bit of everything. Mad respect to all the real artists - please don't be offended.

Here we go....

Materials:
1. Canvas (Michaels, AC Moore, etc.)  Even paint over store bought art that you have but may not like. I actually bought some really not so nice ones at Home Goods for this reason and painted over the canvas because it can get expensive to frame things.  I used all different sizes  - 12"x12", 12x18, 12x24, and one 36x36 - but the one in this video is 12"x12".

2. Any brush.  I like stiffer bristles, and the one I used was from Ellie's art supplies, so I am quite sure it was cheap.

3. Acrylic paints - the very cheapest ones are garbage. I'd go a step up to the ones that are about $1.50 each. I like the Americana brand. And remember - lots of white!!

Technique:

I couldn't find the pause button on my phone so I had to make two videos:

Part 1:
(If you cannot see it here, this is the YouTube link)


Part 2:
(If you cannot see it here, this is the YouTube link)

So when I was uploading these, I realized that I did indeed over blend the orange, so I went back and added some darker orange in the corner:




Obviously, these are wet and will look better, less shiny, when they are dry. But I think there are too many layers to look as smooth as the ones I posted yesterday, but we'll see.

One more note about color. The "cleaner" and brighter colors work better, in my opinion. So, instead of a pale blue, get bright blue and use the white to water it down. When I used colors like these, the painting was very blah:

 

 And here's another example - the purple on the left is much better than the one on the right, although it might just be a personal preference:


These are the ones from the earlier post if you missed it:

Ok, so I hope that helps. If you're like me, you'll be addicted by dinner and have all new art by morning :)




Karena said...

Stacy I love these videos, watching artists in their studios is the best! Creativity at work!!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Palm Beach Chic

Sandra Lee said...

It was so good to hear your voice as well as see you at work.

Sandra Lee said...

It was so good to hear your voice as well as see you at work.

Unknown said...

Wow! Thanks! MC

Pura Vida said...

F.U.N. I'll have to give this a try with my art kids!

Katherine said...

I look at some of the art online and think 'I could do that'. Your post and video proves that it is a matter of our own taste and talent.