My Favorite DIY Art

Sunday, April 8, 2012

I always think art should be personal, or at least mean something to the person who hangs it.  That's why I hate most of my store bought "art."

I needed something in my family room, and was really drawn to the idea of a gallery wall.  I tried painting things, but they were just so-so.  I looked on line for days, but couldn't find anything really good that I liked and could afford.

Then I remembered those apps where you can transform a photo into a drawing. So, since design is so personal to me, I took photos from my portfolio and ran them through the drawing app (the one I used was Sketch+ for $1.99).

Here is an example:

Before:

After running the photo through the app:




How cool is that? Most of the rooms I even liked better in black and white :)


Here are the rest:








Then I spray painted some frames from Michaels in silver high gloss, and matted them with white mats.  Here is the end result:




CLOSE UP:


You could do this with chairs, buildings, places you've travelled to, etc....the options are endless.

_________________________________________________________


*See My 15 Most Popular Posts HERE!
a
_________________________________________________________


And on my other blog, Mary Jane's Makeup, today:
"The BEST Makeup Trick Everyone Should Know"

_______________________________________________________

mmmaaa

Up To 90% Off Luxury Consignment _________________________________________________________


*See My 15 Most Popular Posts HERE!
a _______________________________________________________

  Let's Be Friends:
If you are reading this post in an EMAIL and want to like of Facebook, CLICK THE BLUE BLOG TITLE, not the Like box, below.  Sorry, Like boxes don't work in emailed posts unless you GO TO THE PAGE BY CLICKING THE TITLE of the blog. Thanks a lot Facebook!  

               

     

               
 

Last but not least.....
Image Map

a
Subscribe by Email: 
Enter your email address to get new posts delivered to your inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner
PURA VIDA said...

Really really interesting cool and beautiful. Perfect for yor space!

Just Spiff It said...

Thanks so much for the idea!! I love to do these sketches of the past homes we have lived in.
Happy Easter to you and your family!

Suzanne said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I just discovered that pencil sketch feature on one of my programs LAST NIGHT! Would like to do something like this with chairs or houses or trees...or...;-)

Acquired Objects said...

OK now I have to go play with this because now I want to see what else they can transform into art. Love this idea and thanks for sharing Stacy!

Happy Easter!
XX
Debra~

Elizabeth said...

I love it! What a great idea

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

This would be really great for family photos! Woo-hoo! Great find!
Cheers,
Barbara

Jean @ Flower Hill said...

Fabulous idea! You're so creative!

Teresa at Splendid Sass said...

I thought I had every design app, but this is amazing, Stacy! Thank you for sharing. Your wall looks fabulous! So talented.
Teresa
xoxo

Donna in Potomac said...

Brilliant! Would love to know what high-gloss silver you used, as it came out perfectly.

Claudia said...

Hello,

Love it! Those came out so beautiful!
Thank you for sharing.

Take care,
Claudia

SSM said...

Love the color you painted the frames.

Enjoy your day!

Decor & Harmony @ 4290 said...

Stacy, wow this is such a fabulous idea! Your artwork looks great in this space. Love the painted frames......stop by my blog and see my latest DIY artwork. Have a great day.

Interior Design Musings said...

So clever of you! lOVE it and will be trying it soon. Just bookmarked it.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Stacy, I have to get this. Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth said...

Stacy,

This is such a great project! Thanks for sharing something that even DIY challenged people like myself can make.

Your wall looks fabulous! Happy Easter,

Elizabeth

Vickie H. said...

WOW! Those REALLY turned out GREAT!!! Good job!!

dawnineden.com said...

Stacy
I LOVE this app. I was looking for an idea for my daughter's living room space above her sofa, which is large. This is perfect. We're picking out a number of her favorite photos of her son and family and we'll create a photo gallery. Love this.
Dawn

brendam said...

What a fabulous result! I must say, I still like your line drawings you posted last week, they reminded me of some that Jan Showers uses....great post.

matildaroseinteriors.blogspot said...

That was such a clever idea...LOVE it!

ClunyG said...

I love these! Those frames look fantastic!
Hugs, Cluny

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Now that is really fantastic...Sketch?...really have to find out more about that....

That gallery is magnificent!

pam {simple details} said...

Wow! It's beautiful, personal and so creative!! I love symmetrical gallery walls, what a great addition to your room!

mishebe said...

what a great idea!

Ideezine said...

Stacy,

Great for a client's home as well. These photo/sketches printed onto fabric would be great room accent pillows in reverse as a white sketch on black fabric with white piping trim.

It's really important to keep technology skills up as they present many opportunities to further original design innovations. This is a great example...you've got it!

Bette

Maureen at The Inglenook Decor said...

oh gosh...ur designs are amazing! so, so talented. I love pencil sketches too & I don't know about this app...yay,brilliant idea!

Lisa said...

What an interesting idea! It looks gorgeous on the wall! Another fun idea would be to do that with portraits!

Like Me Some said...

Okay, this is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while!!! Love it!!!! I need to go play with this app!

Haus and Home said...

Wow really cool! That would be neat for someone exterior of their house as well for a gift for someone who bought a new house! Great idea.

Kathysue said...

Omgosh I have to do this! Love this idea, especially because it is in black and white, my fav. Kathysue

Bliss Designs@http://www.BlissWindowDesigns.com/blog said...

I love this bought it on my iPad. Didn't see it on my Mac. Where did you buy the app iPad or Mac?
cmiller@blisswindowdesgns.com

Michele Oliver said...

I love your art, an amazing idea!

The enchanted home said...

No idea how I missed this but this is AMAZING!!! OMG you are the queen of DIY!! Love love love it.

Eyes in Interior Design said...

That is a really awesome idea. It is a tour of rooms all in one spot. Thank you for this really creative idea