My Home Office Changes (Lighter, Brighter, Fresher), and a Curtain Hanging Tutorial (No Sew, No Stitch Witch.... Nothing)

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

You guys! I have a new and improved Pin It hover button in a color that matches my blog. I can't tell you how exciting this is to me - I hate the red so much.  I didn't make it terribly big because that slows down the process of loading images, but I think it's big enough. Let me know if you disagree. Here it is:


_________________________________

I'm in the process of making some changes to my office. It all came about because when we moved the family room furniture around, the daybed from the office was screaming out to go live in the corner of the family room (even my husband agreed).

Here is the old office with the daybed:


And here it is in the family room:


So. Now I need something for the office. A new daybed, a love seat, chairs? Of course I read the whole internet (every single available product that might work - I spent days), and ended with this sofa (on backorder, but ordered):


 I'm really excited. I've been wanting to incorporate blush pink (color of the year) into my house, but wasn't thinking I'd be able to.

Anyway, I took this opportunity to make a few other changes to lighten things up.

First, the ceiling in the office is black. I liked it and it worked for a long time, but it's going back to white.

Next, I painted the desk. That was also black. I painted it gold and white (I sprayed the legs to look like gold metal, then taped off and painted the top). I also sprayed the hot pink bench legs gold:


As you can see, the benches were pink. I ordered this faux fox fur and am recovering them in that. Actually, the fabric drapes really well and the benches are really just decorative, so I may not even attach it. It looks exactly the same just draped over, so I just have to cut it to the right size:



I also bought an all-white hide on Etsy (here), which will be layered over the sisal: 


And a couple of throw pillows for the sofa, on the benches for now:


I also bought curtains at Home Goods. Here is a quick little method to hang them with no sewing or fusion tape or anything. You just fold them. If it's good and heavy enough fabric, it works fine.

1. First, hang the curtains normally to see how much too long they are - here, about 7"



2.  Take them down and fold that amount from the top (7" in my case). Also fold them in about 6" (so the edges don't show from the front), and clip:


I fold them in the width of 2 clips, so about 6".  So below, the far right clip goes on the end over both layers of fabric. The second clip in from the right also grabs both folded layers - this helps them hang more evenly:


 This shows how they are folded in so the edges curl in and under the panel:


So, sewn rings are better, but I never ever have time for that and this works just fine for me. I did two with puddling and two without and I'm still deciding, although leaning toward no puddling.

Here is how they look using this method, kind of.  I'm so so frustrated. Even with my good camera, I am shooting into the light, so I have to have my lights off and use the flash and the photos look like something from bad real estate photos.com. Or if I leave the lights on I get a bounce back from the windows, hence the ghostly things below.  I swear it looks better in real life. The curtains are a warm greige, not gray.  Anyway, here are the crappy photos: 


Too dark because the big light is off, and that black ceiling must go asap, but hopefully you can visualize?



So that's about it. Of course I'll show you when it's finished, but the sofa won't be here until mid-May. Good things come to those who wait, right?

Finally, here is what I am coveting recently from my favorite store - most of these are very reasonable priced and surprising affordable, but a few of them are beyond my means. Aren't these gorgeous? I love how much pink and mint there is.... 





See you tomorrow!

d
Anonymous said...

Love the new office Stacy, it's beautiful - and the pin-it button color is great too!

PamLuvsPink said...

Hi Stacy!!

Your office is look great!! Love the gold and white desk!! It's amazing what paint can do to make something look brand new!! Can't wait for the PINK!!! sofa to arrive!! A girl has to have PINK!!!

That's a great way to do curtains!! How smart is that!!

Enjoy the weekend that's coming up!!

Pam
xox