I Need Advice.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

You guys are always so helpful when I am debating things, so I'd love your opinions on this. I have been working on the family room, and have told you about the molding project going on. It will be finished tomorrow, and then the painter comes Monday. Here is my problem though - I had always planned to paint it all white - walls, trim, everything - in a glossy finish. I've done that all over the house and love it, and frankly never considered anything else.

But now I'm thinking I may have never considered leaving the underlying color because I've never liked the underlying color before with whatever rooms changes were going on when I had the moldings done. So, it always looked eight million times better when it got painted white.

But now I'm looking at this gray base and am actually liking the contrast with the white trim. So what if the painter just caulked and did the trim white, but left the walls gray? 

Here is with the gray paint - low light of course:


And this is an attempt to remove the color in my photo editing.  You can really only see a vast difference at the bottom of the walls. 


And here is one that is in black and white to try to remove that wall color. It's really deceptive though because editing it this way takes all the color and warmth out of the room, not just the walls.


I do believe even with all white the room will still be warmer than this shows, partly because I'd use a warm white paint and partly because the chandelier gives a lot of yellow light.

So can you picture it white?

What would you do - leave it gray or paint it white?

s
Anonymous said...

I think all white would be more dramatic. There is too much molding/trim and it would be too busy even though the gray is very light

Pop O Color said...

I would have everything painted the same color, then it will look more like wainscoting vs frames.

Debra said...

I was thinking by leaving the walls as is the molding I'll really pop out

Merlin said...

I go with gray....it makes "that" room interesting. franki

artluvr said...

It's hard to tell from the computer screen, but I'm wondering whether the all white, especially glossy, would be a bit cold and sterile for a family room. While a darker gray might be too contrast-y, the lovely light gray that's there right now is just enough of a contrast to my uneducated eye to warm it up just enough. Worst possible scenario is that you leave the gray and live with it for a bit. If you decide it's too busy, it can always be painted over.

Unknown said...

The gray/ white contrast would be so much more interesting than just cold white. The gray will make the white pop and the white will inficise. The gray which I think will warm up the room and the room will be more relaxing and stylish.

Joi said...

I agree with artluvr & Evelyn. I'd leave the gray & leave it for awhile. You can go forward if you don't like it, but would be harder to go back. And I like that soft touch of color as opposed to the sterility of the white, especially for the family room, as others have mentioned.

Unknown said...

I would do it all white. I really like molding work to be consistent throughout the home; it feels very classy. Your curtains will really pop against the white and there'll be plenty of opportunity to introduce color elsewhere. No matter what, it'll be fabulous! Can't wait to see the end result.

Anonymous said...

Definitely the grey will showcase your molding and make the room warmer, especially for a family room.

pamela bozanich said...

i vote for the gray

Anonymous said...

White. The molding details will be contracsted with the lighting in the room and be less busy. Especially like it with the contrast of your darker furniture. Just suggesting ....

Anonymous said...

I find the gray especially sophisticated.

Anonymous said...

White white is beautiful, warm and sophisticated and shows off your beautiful light fixture and furniture! I vote WHITE!

Anonymous said...

I like the wall color the way it is now with the contrast. You can always paint it all white later if you choose.

G. Norris said...

I like the idea of all white. All the trim on the gray looks a little busy. I love the crisp white look!

Anonymous said...

I can see why you'd contemplate leaving the gray but ultimately I'd go with the white. The gray makes it a bit too busy. The white is more peaceful and calm too me.

Angela said...

I'm sure either will look lovely, but I'm leaning to the gray. I tend to prefer color and I love a contrast which for me adds that all important pop. I realize you have a lot of molding, and certain colors would just be too busy, ...but the light gray would really work well and keep with the elegance of the room. Good luck...your home is amazing!

Unknown said...

Warm White!!! Beautiful architecture stands out with shadows. Your room is gorgeous & lighting is stunning - let the walls be the classy back drop. This advise from a fellow decorator. No matter what you choose, no wrong answer here - already looks lovely. Best wishes!

MCM said...

Hi i Stacy,

While I am sure either decision you make would be lovely, my choice is to leave the grey; the contrast would show off your pretty new moldings!
...later, if you tire of it, you can then paint over it all. :D

Good luck with your decision. These things are always easier when designing for others, but hardest when doing our own spaces. Don't know why that is! LOL

Sueli said...

I would live the wall colour as is. The contrasting white trim just pops and makes the room grander, but I'm sure it would be nice all in white as well. Why don't you live as it is for a while and see how it feels. Whatever you do will only enchance your gorgeous home.
xo

Celeste said...

I would stick with all one color...either all gray or all white. You've got quite a bit of moulding on the walls.I would bledn the two together.

Anonymous said...

I vote white. Unless your walls/drywall is in perfect condition, I would stay away from high gloss paint as this will only accentuate any and ALL imperfections. Flat or eggshell will offer a velvety rich finish. Can't wait to see finished room!!!

Unknown said...

I would choose one color for molding and walls and I love the idea of all white. If you'd rather a color, a light gray works but again stick with one color for both.