How I Fixed Up My Living Room for a Photoshoot

Saturday, August 11, 2012

So I told you all a few weeks ago that Houzz was sending a photographer to shoot my house for an article....but it got postponed at the last minute because it was pouring out.  I'm kind of glad, because it gave me time to do some things I had been putting off. Namely, my living room. Here is how my living room looked up until yesterday (minus the gray fabric draped over the chair):






So I started with plain boring white, but I wanted stripes and nail heads. Sounds easy, but it was actually really hard to get everything lined up.  But here is how I did it:

Cut and iron the fabric into the desired width and length. LIGHTLY spray the middle section of the chairs with spray glue, making sure not to go outside the line of where the stripe is going to be.  Lay the fabric on and smooth the wrinkles (the hard part).

This is the fabric being attached to the underside of the chair:




Then the fun part - the nail heads.  First, the proper tools:


I spaced them just by using the width of my finger, but I read some where that a dime or penny is a good way, too (and probably more precise):




The finished chair, from the back:


The others, in progress:


Finished, from the front:






But I am very pleased with the result, and it looks MUCH better in person :)



                      _______________________

Visit my most popular post (about eye cream! Wonders never cease) HERE or by clicking the images below:


_________________________________________________________



Up To 90% Off Luxury Consignment

Subscribe by Email: 
Enter your email address to get new posts delivered to your inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner
carolyn bradford said...

This is beautiful, Stacy! I am very, very impressed! Can't wait to see the photo shoot as well! Thanks for sharing these great tips! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

Seriously gorgeous Stacy!
I have boring dining room chairs I would love to do this too - but I am terrible with nailheads - have tried and tried - ( and I bought a mallet specifically for it ) just can't do it!!!
You're really amazing
XOXO

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Looks fantastic~ love how your chairs came out!!

Unknown said...

Hey Stacy Awesome! You kill me! I get like that, where I need to paint a room NOW! or re-arrange the house...Ah well, look what happens! Looks great and a great idea!

Annie H. said...

Your chairs are beautiful as is your entire home, I can see why they wanted to shoot it for a photo shoot.

Barbara@HausDesign said...

Sooo cool! I'm with you on the no sewing...my SIL (who is an excellent seamstress) just helped me make curtains for my living room and dining room using stitch witchery and they turned out great. Now I feel like I can do anything! I love the combo with the nailhead trim too...looks awesome!

P.S. I love this... said...

Wow, what a wonderful job! I love the curtains and how you transformed the chairs. Can't wait to see pics from the photoshoot.

The enchanted home said...

You are amazing..cannot believe how great they came out or how creative you are! The room looks like a million bucks...seriously beautiful!

Arun said...

Wow, great improvement on the chairs. I might do this myself for some of the more plain chairs I have! I saw some great pieces of cloth at Ikea.

Heather @ my peanut butter cups said...

Wowzas! Looks great -- I can't believe how even the nailhead trim turned out just by using your finger. I can't sew for the life of me so this gives me some DIY hope! :)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Stacy you are my kind of DIY'er...anything that involves hot glue, stitch witchery, etc. is my kind of project....The drapes are fabulous!...and the chairs are spectacular...Love what you did! Can't wait to hear about the photo shoot!

Amy Chalmers said...

Wow you are a wizard!!! I cannot believe my eyes~great job!!

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

Now, that took some guts, girlfriend! I hate to ask what "Plan B" was, in case this didn't work out!? But it most certainly did! Just what the doctor ordered! And if you find that rug missing anytime soon, don't come to my house! Who me?

Great job!,
Barbara

Sandra Lee said...

Wow Stacy it looks great. Where has soray glue been all my life?

Missi @ havoc-to-heaven.com said...

I am so copying your no sew drapes! This is genius!! What a gorgeous room!

Just Spiff It said...

Those curtains are wonderful and love what you did with your chairs!! Anxious to see your home on Houzz!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

You are so clever.....It looks great!

Kathysue said...

YOU NAILED it, literally. You know how I love a wide stripe down the middle of a chair!! Excellent!! Kudos to you for thinking outside the box, xo Kathysue

Unknown said...

Wow, you did a beautiful job. I love no sew projects. :) Thank you for sharing at my Our Favorite Things Link Party.

Jeanette said...

Wow! What a beautiful space. The chairs look amazing with the grey fabric on them. I'm your latest follower from My Life's a Treasure party!

Karena said...

Stacy you are amazing I love your living room!! The new strips add so much to the curtains! The chairs amazing.

Now, where did you get that fabulous rug?

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
2012 Artists Series featuring Harrison Howard

Unknown said...

Just awesome!

Cluny Grey said...

Wow! For someone who says she is not a DIYer, you did an awesome job! This makes a huge difference! I love it!
Hugs, Cluny

Pura Vida said...

Stacy...yay! as usual...amazing post!

jamie @ [kreyv] said...

Dying over these chairs...gorgeous!

SHERRY HART said...

Really amazing how much you can do under pressure!!! That room shines now!

gina said...

That is one gorgeous room!! The chairs are great, the curtains are beautiful and that rug...I'm drooling over. Where did you get that?

Can I move in?

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

What a fantastic idea!!! I have a chair JUST like yours...I want to try it.

Maureen Sullivan Stemberg, Interiors said...

Hello Stacy!

This is my first time visiting your blog.
I followed a link from another blogger.
I am thrilled to see your work and how
very gifted you are... As a designer &
as an individual that can do it all'
Quite impressive. -maureen

Maureen Sullivan Stemberg, Interiors said...

Hello Stacy!

This is my first time visiting your blog.
I followed a link from another blogger.
I am thrilled to see your work and how
very gifted you are... As a designer &
as an individual that can do it all'
Quite impressive. -maureen

Anonymous said...

Wonderful room ... can you tell me about the chandelier? We've been looking and looking for something like that for our dining room...

kimdwarf at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

You are so clever! The drapes looked amazing as well. Thank you for sharing your chair fix up with BeBetsy.

Such a talent!

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

I looove the changes you made!! Lucky you had that rainy day! :) The chairs look so gorgeous and I love the edging of zebra on the curtains! HUGE congrats on your shoot with Houzz!!

for the love of a house said...

wow!! the changes you made look fabulous! great job and congrats on the shoot!
happy weekend!
joan

Haus and Home said...

Great job on the chairs and Congrats!!! So exciting!

ka said...

You are simply AMAZING!!!

Unknown said...

They turned out amazing. Thanks for sharing them again on my Our Favorite Things Link Party. I have lots of new readers who missed it the first time.

Barb @ A Life in Balance said...

Wow! Those 2 changes are just amazing! I've never heard of spray glue. I think I'm going to have to find some.

I love the rug, too. Very graphic. Is it a small room? The rug doesn't seem overwhelming for the room.

Thanks for linking up to Frugal Thursday Rewind! Such an awesome post! How can I subscribe to see what other awesomeness you have to share?

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

Wow you do great work! Love the idea of changing up the upholstery with a simple swatch!

miss b said...

What a great result! I love the chairs and curtains - it really has made such a difference. Looking forward to seeing more photos. A really chic room.
http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

Albertina || MimosaLane said...

I love the idea of upholstering aprt of the chair only....they look ebautiful!

Unknown said...

This reminds me of the time I had to put together diy roller shutters because the wife wasn't in the mood to go to the store just for those. I thought I didn't do a very good job - until the neighbors asked us where we bought the shutters.

Unknown said...

There are a lot of office relocations sydney and I was thinking why not spruce up my future office a wee bit before I formally occupy it? After all, I really wanted to give this a try.

Unknown said...

Next time you will be fixing your living room for a photoshoot, try installing in your windows some roller shutters in perth. I admire you for spending time to fix your room just for a photoshoot.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

These are good ideas you can do yourself inside the house. But mind you, you shouldn't just modify your home interior. You should also mind your doors just like the ones they are saying. I also suggest you get a shutter to protect your home from burglars.



Alfie Dale


Karen Wilby said...

These are genius! Very creative and resourceful. It complements the whole interior of your home.

Unknown said...

I would like to say that your post is wonderful. We can learn many things from it. You have done a good work. Thanks for posting.
Wall Coverings

Kaye Albert said...

Talk about McGyvering out your living room for a photoshoot. that was pretty impressive work on the chairs; you wouldn't actually think that they were just plain white chairs to start with.

Kennedy Hickam said...

You really just did that on your own? Wow! It definitely looks like it came out of a furniture store like that already.