Getting Ready For a Photoshoot!!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Today I'm going nuts trying to get ready for a photographer from Houzz to come shoot my house for a feature in their Houzz Tours (I'm sure you know them - if not, get yourself over to Houzz.com today and sign up for the emails - you won't regret it!) So of course I left the staging for the last minute and didn't think it would be a big deal. Ha.

On another note, $100 doesn't go very far in fresh flowers. Just saying. I thought I had enough to start my own nursery, and it turns out I didn't even fill the first floor. Wouldn't it be amazing to have $250-300 a week to fill the house with flowers? That will never happen, but I guess it makes it all the more special when the house IS filled with flowers :) So here's what I've tackled today: 


Staging the kitchen - tv, toaster, toaster oven, Keurig, etc., hidden in my laundry room, and replaced with more stylish accessories: 





Setting the tables, which meant polishing silver (not yet in the photos):



And it looks like I need to get the iron out. Yuck.



Here is the best shot I've gotten of the kitchen in a while, seeing as I only have a phone to take photos on at the moment, and always forget to turn on the hall lights:


This one still needs silver, too, but you get the idea:



I'm still working on the family room, and the photo shoot tomorrow motivated me to actually work on it rather than just SAY I'm working on it.  Look what I found at Home Goods - this bench!!! It's actually the PERFECT color even though it doesn't quite look like it on the phone photos:


Oh, and then I decided after finally getting to my most recent edition of AD last night, featuring Victoria Hagan's own home, that I needed art just like hers in this photo:



So I took an old canvas that was in storage and painted this today.  I'm hoping I'll have time to get to Michael's and buy and spray paint a thin frame for it in the morning.  I think it needs a frame to make it pop against the wall color.  PS - I hate the gold table below (I posted about it a couple of weeks ago and you all were 50-50 on whether you liked it).  I'm returning it for a more substantial one at some point.  It took me a while to get there, because I was 50-50, too, and mostly wanted it because it was such a good deal. Sometimes I try to force things like that, and it NEVER works.





A closer up photo of the bench - it's actually pretty good quality and has great nail head detailing all the way around it:


And a close up of the painting.  It's much more blue/turquoise and less gray than in this photo:



I love cutting flowers short and using crystal glasses as vases.  How's that for a random thought :)



And finally, this is why I really think I'm crazy (for leaving everything to the last minute).  I've been meaning to get pillows for these chairs forever, but haven't been able to match the gray from the rug. So, I decided that instead, I'd do a fabric stripe like I have on the dining room chairs.  I got lucky and found the right color fabric today.  Now I have to find time in the next 1/2 a day to MAKE the stripes :)  

I'm just going to iron the panels and temporarily attach them with removable spray adhesive, and then go back and do a more permanent job later.  Maybe add some silver nail heads to the bottom, too.  Anyway, I think the fabric makes the room look interesting enough for the Houzz tour. And I love the pop of hot pink in the book in the background - I'm going to bring more of that color in with flowers tomorrow.

 

So that's my crazy day.  I actually think I had chest pains at one point.  And I haven't even gone upstairs yet to see what kind of shape the kids left their rooms in for me!  Wish me luck.... I'll need it.

_________________________________________________________



This stuff is AWESOME: 

a
Subscribe by Email: 
Enter your email address to get new posts delivered to your inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Barbara@HausDesign said...

How incredibly exciting! What a fun and memorable day you will have tomorrow. I'd be very curious to hear about how they do it, what (if anything) they change, etc. I'm just not sure you will be sleeping between now and then with all that you have planned though. :) I can totally relate - even though my house has never been part of a photo shoot, everytime we are planning on house guests I get super motivated to finally break through on several projects. AND...love the bench!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Stacy, how exciting. Its a lot of work to stage a home. It looks amazing and cant wait to see how the pictures come out.

Segreto Secrets said...

Wow-That is wonderful!! Congrats! You did an amazing job on your home! It looks stunning!! Love your tablescapes! Have fun today!

thistlewoodfarm said...

How exciting! Your house looks truly beautiful (I love that light fixture)!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!
karianne

Inge@SimplyFabulousChic said...

OMG! So exciting Stacy! I hope you had the most amazing day today and I'm anxious to see the pictures the crew of Houzz shot of your house. It all looks so amazing and immaculate at your home, I love it! And I love your style and the perrier bottles in your kitchen. That looks so cozy and welcoming... :-)
And how stunning is your light fixture? A.dor.able!!

Much love, Inge x

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh how exciting, and everything looks amazing so far. Can't wait to see the future. Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

No Stacy - you don't need any "luck" a good night's sleep perhaps - but definitely not luck - you already have it in the bag - your home is breathtaking - and magazine worthy
Congratulations!!!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh pretty Stacy, congrats and everything is looking gorgeously amazing!! Can't wait to see it all ready to go! Oh, and by the way, they're lucky to have your stunning house in their magazine too. I love AD, is my inspiration decor magazine. I am going to check the one you'll be featured in too, as if they want you is cause I'll probably like their taste!
FABBY

Just Spiff It said...

Very exciting things are going on at your home. You really have done some very incredible and beautiful things. Always look forward in seeing any updates.

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

So exciting!! Your house looks fabulous! Can't wait to see it on Houzz. Congrats :)

Danielle said...

I'm so excited for you! Good luck with the photo shoot. It all looks amazing. x

carolyn bradford said...

Stacy, This all looks so beautiful!! However…you just confirmed my decision when I turned down the "offer" of my house being on a Christmas tour which starts in November! I just can't do it and feel that amount of stress with all that is going on! My mind raced though at the thought…it was flattering…I'm always wanting advertising for the shop…but this year I just can't do it!! But it sure does get your house ready for all sorts of other parties! My mother in law always said it takes a party to get your house in order and to get everything done that you've been putting off! So true! Your's looks amazing!

Linda Burt Independent Willow House Design Consultant said...

Looks beautiful! Do you have a Costco near by? They have great flowers and you could get a great start for that $100. Also if you dream of have $250-$300 in flowers for your home, you could achieve it! It all starts with a Dream!

Thanks for sharing!
Linda Burt

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Stacy...you need no luck...as your home is gorgeous...they will be overwhelmed by your interiors so elegantly appointed with amazing creative touches throughout....Congrats Stacy...you so deserve this honor and they are fortunate to have your home to feature!!....Have fun at the shoot!!!...

Unknown said...

Your home is awesome. I will admit and don't get mad. I don't really care for the gold table either. But i love the new bench! Good for u , i hope all goes well tomorrow. Your home should be in a magazine!

Omega 3 said...

I really enjoy the blog article.

pam {simple details} said...

Oh my goodness, you had me excited for you and laughing at all the craziness we go through (not that I know about a photo shoot). Can't wait to see it, wishing you the best today!

Haus and Home said...

Oh my goodness, that is awesome about your photo shoot for houzz. I can't wait to see the final results.

Anonymous said...

Nice post about interior design it is very cool to apply at home

StagerLinda said...

Your staging looks amazing! You took on a lot for a major deadline. Can't wait to see the pictures. I love that turquoise ceramic lamp. Where did you get it?