Repurposing Sentimental Mink Fur Coats Into Bags and Scarves

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Since my mom passed away last year, my sister and I have been hanging onto her old fur coats.  They are not the type of thing we would really ever buy or wear,* so I decided to make things out of them this year.

I have wanted to show you this for weeks, but needed Christmas to come and go first because I made these for my sister and didn't want her to see the post first.

I read a lot about how to cut fur and re-use it.  I found some articles through searching "repurposed fur," and also there were a couple of YouTube videos I found helpful (sorry, I didn't keep the links). 

One coat was enough fur to make two scarves and two bags. Here they are on my reluctant model:








Showing the frame I used for the bags:


My sweetest goofball:


Isn's she beautiful? She did, and would, make my mother so proud, and someday I hope she will wear these items and remember her grandma. I know my sister and I will. 

I hope you all had truly beautiful and happy holidays!

________________________________________________________

*I understand the political ramifications of buying fur, and actually agree with the anti-fur people. However, where I might disagree is that I don't tell other people what to do. So even though buying fur is not for me, I believe in live and let live and try not to judge others. I share this opinion for two reasons: 1. I don't want people to send me nasty anti-fur emails. I didn't buy these, and when I inherited them I could have either sold them, thrown them away, or repurposed them. I believe that using them honors my mother. If you want to be mad at me for repurposing them, then ok I guess. 2. If you are a reader and have bought fur, I say no one has a right to judge if they have ever worn leather, eaten meant, etc. I know people disagree with me, but this is a design blog and I don't really have an interest in getting into an argument on this topic.  I won't be responding to comments inviting me to engage in that debate. I hope you understand.
margif said...

Your daughter is lovely. Your Mother's lovely furs have gone to great use. These purses and collars will always bring back wonderful memories of you mother. You are reusing items that have a lot of meaning to you. Your creativity with your mother's furs will always be appreciated by your precious daughter and sister. Good for YOU!!!!

Merlin said...

What a beautiful and useful thing to do!! I used my mink "collars" around the bottom of miniature trees on my bed stands. (Justifies keeping them!! :) franki

Barbara Novello said...

My daughter wears my mother's furs and her mother in laws furs - they are vintage and beautiful and were purchased a long time ago before the boycott fur began. We did inherit a fur from a family member and my sister and I turned it into two beautiful fur bears. We also purchased a beautiful fur mink in good condition at a thrift store and had them turned into handbags. Kuddos for not disgarding your family heirlooms! I love the idea of the collars!

Joanne said...

I think it's a great way to use your mother's treasured furs. Enjoy your collars and purses. Your daughter is adorable!
I love Franki's idea for a tree skirt, too. How luxurious!

KL said...

What a brilliant idea! Love what youve done and yes, your model is absolutely beautiful. Your mother would definitely approve. X kl

The enchanted home said...

Stacy… I absolutely love this idea I think it's such a beautiful way to honor your mother and might I say your model is quite beautiful herself !! I hope you and your family enjoyed a beautiful Merry Christmas 🎄🎄🎄

Taylor Greenwalt said...

What a great idea Stacy...my mom and grandmother had a few fur coats also...I might just steal your idea! Hope you had a great Christmas!

RicMil said...

Beautiful daughter, Stacy, and I'll bet she's just as smart as she is gorgeous. Love your ideas for re-purposing family furs and agree with your philosophy in doing so. You've inspired me to try my hand at remaking some of my 'inheritances'!

Karena said...

Stacy I love what you have created with the furs and they are a memento from your Mother which is wonderful!!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
India Hicks Sale!!

Sandy said...

Your daughter is beautiful and the scarves and handbags are fabulous!

cindy weis said...

What a beautiful way to use the coats, something you will have for a long time and a nice memory of your mom. I think your daughter is just adorable, and such a good sport to show us these treasures. Happy New Year